‘Celebrity Wheel of Fortune’: Pat Sajak Did Not Seem Pleased with Behavior of Recent Contestant

by Chris Haney
celebrity-wheel-of-fortune-pat-sajak-did-not-seem-pleased-behavior-recent-contestant

During Sunday night’s primetime episode of Celebrity Wheel of Fortune, host Pat Sajak seemed ever so slightly annoyed with special guest Mario Cantone.

The Sex and the City actor was one of three new celebrity contestants on the popular game show last night. And let’s just say he left quite the impression during his appearance, but mostly in a good way. Cantone got off to a hot start when he answered the show’s first puzzle. He also went on to secure a huge payday for his favorite charity.

However, it was his interactions with Sajak that stole the show. The 61-year-old comedian and actor also pretended to wear a million-dollar wedge like a Miss America contestant’s sash. Later in the show, Cantone asked Sajak’s co-host Vanna White to spin around like a Tony Award.

“Do me a favor, for the rest of the show don’t behave yourself,” Sajak told Cantone at one point.

“Oh, I won’t!” Cantone amusingly responded.

The Sex and the City star brought some lighthearted fun to Celebrity Wheel of Fortune, and fans ate it up on social media. Yet Sajak seemed to struggle at times to keep things under control on the set.

“We’re having great fun tonight,” Sajak said, joking around with Cantone. “My previous job as a cat wrangler is really helping me out.”

The duo’s interactions throughout the episode made for great TV. They both excelled at witty one-liners and comebacks, but nothing ever seriously crossed the line. As the show came to a close, Cantone won a whopping $48,350 for the Actors Fund. The organization provides assistance for performing artists and entertainment professionals.

“I’ve had the time of my life,” Cantone said to Sajak at the end of the show referencing a Dirty Dancing quote. “And I owe it all to you.”

“Thank you!” Sajak said in response. “I will exact payment at some future date.”

‘Wheel of Fortune’ Host Pat Sajak Explains Why It Took So Long to Create Celebrity Version of Show

Earlier this year, the game show invited celebrities to spin the wheel for the first time ever on Wheel of Fortune. About a month ago, the spinoff series returned for its second season. But most fans probably don’t realize the celebrity edition of the game show took years to create.

While speaking to Entertainment Weekly early this year, host Pat Sajak revealed what took so long to create Celebrity Wheel of Fortune.

“Part of it is, we’ve always been careful about not getting the show overexposed,” Sajak said to Entertainment Weekly. “We’ve been on a very long time, and I don’t know how much Wheel is too much. But you don’t want to water the product down too much. And this seemed like the time to do it because of what’s going on in the world.”

In addition to that, the Covid-19 pandemic also played a part in the network finally adding the spinoff. With millions of Americans stuck at home and craving content and entertainment, they decided it was the right time to expand the famous game show.

Wheel of Fortune is kind of a sign of normalcy for people; they were very glad to have us back on the air. So this seemed like a good time to expand into prime time a little bit. At least one time, and extend that normalcy. And also, the networks frankly need programming. A lot of stuff can’t shoot the way [we] do, so the timing worked out. It was good for everybody,” Sajak noted.

Outsider.com