Police Issue Warrant for Alec Baldwin’s Phone in ‘Rust’ Shooting Investigation

by Jennifer Shea
police-warrant-alec-baldwin-phone-rust-shooting-investigation

The Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office has obtained a warrant for the seizure and search of Alec Baldwin’s cell phone. A detective got the warrant in connection with the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the low-budget movie Rust.

The affidavit filed by detective Alexandria Hancock states that “there may be evidence on the phone, due to individuals using cellular phones during and/or after the commission of crime(s). Such information, if it exists, may be material and relevant to this investigation. Affiant was also made aware there were several emails and text messages sent and received regarding the movie production Rust in the course of interviews.”

Baldwin has said he was cooperating with authorities. However, Baldwin’s lawyers had refused to give up his cell phone without a warrant, according to Deadline. A judge approved the warrant request on Thursday.

Sheriff’s Office Has Interviewed Alec Baldwin Multiple Times

Baldwin had talked to the sheriff’s office several times before he sat down for a tell-all interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos recently. In the interview, Baldwin claimed he never pulled the trigger on the gun. The actor and producer added that he had “no idea” how live ammunition got into the gun.

During the course of the interview, Baldwin also said he was pointing the gun in the direction that Hutchins had told him to point it. “Everything is at her direction,” he insisted. He said the gun went off after he pulled back the hammer and let it go.

Legal experts called the Stephanopoulos interview a P.R. stunt and warned that it may backfire for Baldwin legally. In the wake of the interview, Alec Baldwin deleted his main Twitter account.

Authorities Are Questioning Rust Crew Members

Meanwhile, authorities have been questioning Rust crew members who are part of the events surrounding the shooting. Last week, First Assistant Director Dave Halls, who handed the fateful gun to Baldwin and yelled “Cold gun!,” received a subpoena in New Mexico. Halls had reportedly been dodging interview requests from the Occupational Safety and Health department.

Authorities are also questioning Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed. She was reportedly outside the church where the cast was rehearsing when the gun went off. Her father, Thell Reed, a well-connected Hollywood armorer, apparently believes the live ammunition was put there to sabotage the movie.

He also said that if his daughter had been inside the church, she would have checked the gun. It’s not clear why Gutierrez-Reed was outside the church.

“She would have re checked that gun, and if there was a live round in there she would have caught it,” Reed said in a recent interview. He added that “she has been raised around gun safety since she was a little girl.”

Outsider.com