Charlie Daniels teamed with some of country music’s biggest stars over the course of his Hall of Fame career. A new compilation album, Charlie Daniels & Friends: Duets, is set to showcase many of his favorite collaborations.
Charlie, 83, died on July 6, 2020, after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke. The fiddle-playing frontman was a country music mainstay for 60 years with hits like “The Devil Went Down to Georgia,” “Drinkin’ My Baby Goodbye,” and more.
A little more than one year after his death, Charlie’s Duets album will be released on July 16, 2021. The 19-song offering features collaborations with a number of A-list artists, including Dolly Parton, Brooks & Dunn, Darius Rucker, Travis Tritt, Marty Stuart, and more. The new album will be available for purchase at Walmart.
Charlie loved to jam. And he loved to collaborate with other artists. In fact, 13 of the new album’s tunes are from his 2007 album, Deuces. The studio album featured Charlie teaming with Brooks & Dunn (“Long Haired Country Boy”), Darius Rucker (“Like a Rolling Stone”), Dolly Parton (“Daddy’s Ole Fiddle”), Vince Gill (“The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down”), Brad Paisley (“Jammin’ for Stevie”), and more.
The new album’s six additional songs were pulled from past projects like 1997’s Blue Hat, which featured a rendition of “Long Haired Country Boy” with John Berry and Hal Ketchum. Garth Brooks provides backing vocals on “Waco,” which was included on Charlie’s 2002 album, Redneck Fiddlin’ Man.
“The process of putting this project together was a wonderful time of reflection and it became an overwhelming reminder of how great these tracks are,” said Charlie’s longtime manager David Corlew. “The best of the best joined Charlie in sharing musical styles and great songs. Thanks to all who participated in honoring Charlie.”
The 2021 Volunteer Jam at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena on Aug. 18 with pay tribute to Charlie’s musical legacy. Participating artists include Randy Travis, Chris Young, Ricky Skaggs, Trace Adkins, Alabama, Marshall Tucker Band, and more.
Charlie Daniels & Friends: Duets Track List
- What’d I Say (w/ Travis Tritt)
- Signed Sealed Delivered I’m Yours (w/ Bonnie Bramlett)
- Jackson (w/ Gretchen Wilson)
- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (w/ Vince Gill)
- Maggie’s Farm (w/ Earl, Gary and Randy Scruggs)
- Daddy’s Old Fiddle (w/ Dolly Parton)
- Like A Rolling Stone (w/ Darius Rucker)
- Evangeline (w/ The Del McCoury Band)
- Let It Be Me (w/ Brenda Lee)
- Long Haired Country Boy (w/ Brooks & Dunn)
- God Save Us All From Religion (w/ Marty Stuart)
- Drinkin’ My Baby Goodbye (w/ Montgomery Gentry)
- Jammin’ For Stevie (w/ Brad Paisley)
- Waco (w/ Garth Brooks singing harmony vocals)
- The South’s Gonna Do It (Again) (w/ Keith Urban on guitar)
- All Night Long (w/ Montgomery Gentry)
- Texas (w/ Ray Benson and Lee Roy Parnell)
- Southern Boy (w/ Travis Tritt)
- Long Haired Country Boy (w/ Hal Ketchum and John Berry)