Sharon Osbourne is an unlikely TV star. For most of her life, she worked behind the scenes on the career of her husband, metal-god Ozzy Osbourne. But when the Osbournes let cameras into their home for the MTV reality show The Osbournes, she became an immediate celebrity.
Now, nearly 20 years later she says she’s giving up television. She can’t handle the stress of what some call “cancel culture.” Osbourne she said came to this realization after she was fired from The Talk.
“Right now, (TV is) not a safe place to be,” she told Daily Mail. “Because the slightest thing — the slightest word — and you’ve p*ssed off half the nation. I don’t want to put myself up for that grief. I really don’t.”
Sharon Osbourne was one of the founding hosts of The Talk and its longest-serving member. But that ended earlier this year after she defended comments controversial newsman Piers Morgan made about Meghan Markle. Comments that her co-hosts said were racist, which sparked a heated on-air argument between Osbourne and Sheryl Underwood. The show went on hiatus to address the issue, and during that time fans unearthed comments Osbourne made on the show about Markle’s race in 2018. Producers fired her from the show in March.
“The events of the March 10 broadcast were upsetting to everyone involved, including the audience watching at home,” CBS said about the incident. “As part of our review, we concluded that Sharon’s behavior toward her co-hosts during the March 10 episode did not align with our values for a respectful workplace.”
Osbourne didn’t return to television after that, and now it seems that decision is permanent. But she isn’t leaving television entirely. She still wants to continue to work in production.
Osbourne Children Land Show at Discovery+
Sharon Osbourne is the only Osbourne walking away from cameras, however.
Discovery+ recently announced they working on a special with Jack and Kelly Osbourne. The children of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne will investigate the paranormal on Jack and Kelly Osbourne: Night of Terror. The Osbournes will hunt ghosts on the RMS Queen Mary during the special.
The streaming service will release the special on October 24 as part of its Halloween-themed programming called “Ghostober.”
In all, Discovery+ is producing more than 50-hours of new specials focused on the holiday. They’re working with celebrities and supernatural enthusiasts such as Eli Roth, Anthony Anderson, Alyson Hannigan, Zak Bagans, and Doris Bowman, and many others. Deadline has a breakdown of all the shows you can expect to see as part of “Ghostober.”
“One of the benefits of having so many great networks in the Discovery portfolio is that we can bring a ton of firepower to big special events— just as we’ve done with Shark Week and the Olympics,” said Discovery, Inc executive Kathleen Finch told Deadline. “… We have shows that are frightening, we have crazy food creations, we have jump scares while house hunting and we’ve put it all together into more than 50 hours of Halloween content airing across our networks and on Discovery+.”