Sharon Stone Says 11-Month Nephew Saved Three Lives Through Organ Donation After Heartbreaking Death

by Michael Freeman
(Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic)

Last month, Sharon Stone tragically announced her 11-month-old nephew, River, experienced total organ failure and eventually passed away. However, she recently told PEOPLE he was able to save three lives due to organ donation.

Speaking on the television show, Stone shared “nothing helped” her family with the loss of her nephew and godson like organ donations. While not immediately clear which organs were donated, doing so saved three different people.

“The fact that my godson was able to save three lives, two infants and a 45-year-old man was sanctuary for our family. I can only say that you never, never know when a tragedy will happen in your life or in your family, but this opportunity be an organ donor, it saved us, saved our family.”

Stone understands people have and will have mixed feelings on organ donation, but says it “gave us some peace.” A few weeks ago, she posted an emotional video on Instagram featuring River after he passed away.

Stone announced her nephew’s condition three days before posting the video, saying “My nephew and godson River Stone was found in his crib w total organ failure today. Please pray for him. We need a miracle🤍💥🙏.”

River’s mother, Tasha, also shared her own pain with a heartbreaking Facebook post. “God needed River in Heaven,” she captioned the same footage her sister-in-law had shared as “Tears in Heaven” played. “I can’t say more than I needed him here on Earth because my heart is shattered into a million pieces.”

Sharon Stone Recounts a Near Death Experience From 2001

Earlier this year, Sharon Stone spoke on The Late Late Show with James Corden and disclosed she had a near-fatal experience way back in 2001.

According to her, she fell out of a truck and suffered brain bleeding for several days before the hospital admitted her “I became unconscious when I got there. I fell out of the truck, and I became unconscious,” she said. “And they put me in a CT scan machine to find out what was happening to me, and I was unconscious that whole time.”

In fact, the doctor’s expression while looking at her had Stone convinced she was dying. “Then when I came to, I was on a table in a very quiet emergency room, which is never good — when it’s like no one’s in there, just the doctor, no one’s running around, nobody’s doing anything urgently. And the doctor is just looking at me so compassionately, and I was like, ‘Am I dying?’ Because I realized this is a bad situation.”

It later turned out the hospital was going to prematurely release her due to missing something on an angiogram. It wasn’t until her friend complained to them about sending her home they ran another test and saw Stone’s vertebral artery had completely ruptured. Enduring a 7-hour surgery, Stone eventually recovered.