‘Wicked Tuna’: Does Captain Dave Carraro Watch the Show?

by Joe Rutland

“Wicked Tuna” has made television stars out of those captains who go out for bluefin tuna. So, does Captain Dave Carraro watch the show?

Well, Carraro addressed that very question during a February 2021 interview with Hollywood Soapbox.

“I would say I’ve watched about 90 percent of the episodes,” Carraro said. “And the other 10 percent I haven’t watched because probably I was just busy doing something else. But, yes, I do watch the majority of the episodes, as does the rest of my family.”

Carraro probably has a good reason for watching that many “Wicked Tuna” episodes. See, Carraro has secured the most victories among captains on the National Geographic Channel show.

He captured first prize in the first, third, fifth, sixth, and eighth seasons. Outsiders are probably tuning into every episode, at least those who love fishing.

Speaking of Outsiders and fans of the show, “Wicked Tuna” is coming back for its 11th season. National Geographic Channel will, once again, air the show where tuna fishermen get busy in the waters off Gloucester, Mass.

Coast Guard Had To Rescue ‘Wicked Tuna’ Boat In November 2020

Boat captains on “Wicked Tuna” do face a number of challenges while on the high seas. Sometimes, things happen where help is needed from additional resources.

Last November, Captain Bobby Earl was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard. His 53-foot boat “Reel E’ Bugging” was on fire after one started in the engine room.

Earl and a crewman were 34 miles east of Barnegat Light, N.J., when they abandoned the ship. Both signaled a mayday call on VHF radio channel 16, saying the boat caught fire before deploying a life raft.

The Coast Guard rescued both men. They were not injured. Now a Coast Guard helicopter flew them to Monmouth Executive Airport in Wall Township, N.J., where they were reunited with family members. Both men are still a part of “Wicked Tuna” going forward.

The 10th season of “Wicked Tuna” premiered earlier this year. The show had to make some changes as they were heading out while the COVID-19 pandemic is still alive.

In the episode called “Keep the Tradition Alive,” the show addressed issues that concern challenges they were going to be facing.

There was a sudden drop in tuna demand. Why? Restaurants closed or reduced their capacity due to precautions. Meanwhile, the bluefin tuna prices dropped, too.

Captain Dave Marciano told the Gloucester Daily Times that the tuna season is dependent on your attitude.

“We didn’t see the prices we saw in the past,” Marciano said, “but it was a fun year to participate in because we wanted it to be fun.”