So now that swimsuit season is officially over, it’s time to bring out the flannels and blankets. A chill is hanging in the air as leaves slowly fade from green to yellow. The days will soon get shorter and tank tops will be replaced by cozy sweaters. One simple way to make this transition even better is with hearty comfort food. What says comfort food better than mac and cheese?
(The answer is nothing, in case you were wondering).
The popular blog The Adventure Bite recently let us in on a little secret. It’s a recipe you and the kids are sure to love. Even better? It’s super simple to prep and it will leave you feeling oh-so-satisfied. So what’s the kicker to the dish? Yes, it’s mac and cheese. However, Dani Meyer, founder of The Adventure Bite blog, let us know how to make the dish even better than the traditional dinner.
Instead of melted butter, milk and mozzarella, Meyer uses a jar of Alfredo sauce mixed with blended cheese to amp up her recipe. Further, she throws in kielbasa for some added flavor and protein. However, the blogger says if kielbasa’s not your thing, you can throw in some other meat (we’re thinking chicken, BBQ, hot dogs, whatever floats your boat).
And to top it off, the meal tastes even better cooked over a warm campfire. This is giving us ALL the fall feels. So gather up the family or some friends. Share a few ghost stories. And enjoy this delicious dish we’re sure you’ll love.
The Mac & Cheese Recipe
Here’s everything you’re going to need:
- 1 package, 12-16 ounces kielbasa, sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 1 1/2 cups dry elbow macaroni noodles
- 8-10 oz jarred Alfredo sauce, about 3/4 of a 15 ounce jar
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese blend, cheddar and mozzarella, pizza blend or Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Now that you have the ingredients, you’re ready to cook. Here’s what to do first:
- Cook your meat. If it’s kielbasa, use a cast iron skillet and cook thoroughly. Drain the excess fat. You can do this in your kitchen or while out camping. Your choice.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse.
- Next, we blend! Add your noodles, cheese, Alfredo sauce and milk (1/4 cup) to a large pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat over your campfire on on a grate for about 5 to 10 minutes (until the cheese is melted).
- Lastly, serve up your mac and cheese immediately.
If your mouth isn’t watering yet, there’s something wrong. Give this a try! We know you’ll love it.
Feeling adventurous? Try this breakfast casserole here.