HomeNewsColin Kaepernick Speaks Out With Intense Words After Breonna Taylor Hearing

Colin Kaepernick Speaks Out With Intense Words After Breonna Taylor Hearing

by Josh Lanier
(Photo by Ira L. Black/Corbis via Getty Images)

Colin Kaepernick called for police departments to be abolished after a grand jury decided not to indict three Louisville, Kentucky, police officers in the death of Breonna Taylor. One of the officers was indicted on a charge of wanton endangerment for allegedly firing recklessly into a neighbor’s apartment, the Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron said.

Kaepernick posted his feelings about the rulings on his Twitter and Instagram Wednesday night. “The white supremacist institution of policing that stole Breonna Taylor’s life from us must be abolished for the safety and well being of our people. #BreonnaTaylor #SayHerName #AbolishThePolice”


Fallout from ruling; 2 officer shot in protests

The court finally reached a decision six months after Taylor, a 26-year-old Black EMT and aspiring nurse, died. Three officers broke through Taylor’s apartment door while executing a late-night warrant in a narcotics investigation on March 13.

Kentucky’s AG Cameron said the police officers did not fire first, the New York Times reported. Taylor’s boyfriend, who said he mistook the plain-clothed officers for intruders, fired first, striking on officer in the leg. Cameron also said the police did identify themselves even though they had a “no knock” warrant, meaning they could enter without identification.

The only officer charged was former detective Brett Hankinson, who Cameron said had fired recklessly into Taylor’s apartment and into a neighboring apartment, the New York Times said. In all, the police fired 32 shots.

Louisville has feared this announcement. Police recalled all officers on vacation and the mayor issued a state of emergency earlier this week. The mayor implemented a 9 p.m. curfew.

Protests began almost immediately after the ruling.

At least two officers were shot Wednesday night, Louisville police said. A livestream set up by police captured the shooting. At least one protester was shot in the neck as well.

The police said at a news conference that both officers were in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries; one of the officers was in surgery, the New York Times reported.