On March, 4, 2008, Alan Jackson returned to his countrified roots with the release of his 15th studio album, Good Time. In honor of the 13th anniversary of the album, we’ve got 13 reasons to celebrate AJ’s masterpiece. Forget the triskaidekaphobia (fear of 13), here we go.
1. Good Time featured 17 songs. While artists of today like Jason Aldean and Miranda Lambert routinely pack their albums with more than 10 to 12 songs, that wasn’t the norm in 2008. It was more bang for your buck in 2008.
2. Alan Jackson penned all 17 songs . . . by himself. There’s a reason the man is in the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Country Music Hall of Fame. It starts with his pen.
3. Good Time debuted at No. 1 on the all-genre Billboard 200 chart. The album marked the fourth—and last time—Alan achieved the feat.
4. In addition, Good Time debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard Top Country Albums chart. AJ can claim 14 No. 1 albums on the chart.
5. Good Time marked a return to AJ’s neotraditional country roots. The 2008 album followed Alan’s 2006 gospel album, Precious Memories, as well as his 2006 album, Like Red on a Rose, which had soft rock overtones.
6. Good Time featured three singles that topped the Billboard Country Airplay chart: “Small Town Southern Man,” “Good Time,” and “Country Boy.”
Jackson’s Good Time Music Video is… a Good Time, of Course. Watch:
Alright, enough line dancing, back to those lucky 13 facts…
7. The album’s lead single, “Small Town Southern Man,” was Alan’s first No. 1 single since “Remember When” in 2004. Featuring a few autobiographical lyrics, the tune pays homage to rural upbringings.
8. The album also featured Top 10 hit, “Sissy’s Song.” Alan penned the tune about his housekeeper, Leslie “Sissy” Fitzgerald, who died in a motorcycle accident in 2007.
9. Everyone likes bologna, right? The album’s final single, “I Still Like Bologna,” didn’t exactly tear up the charts. It peaked at No. 32, which was a disappointment by AJ’s standards. But it’s a tasty ditty.
10. Good Time was certified Platinum by the RIAA for sales of 1 million units in 2010. Alan has 15 Platinum/Multi-Platinum albums in his career.
11. Deep cut “Long Long Way” is a totally underrated bluegrass tune. Who doesn’t love a little mandolin?
12. Have you seen the album’s cover? It really was “time for a good time,” as the title track suggested.
13. In 2016, Alan opened AJ’s Good Time Bar on Nashville’s Lower Broadway. It lives up to its moniker.
‘Good Time’ Song Spotlight: “I Still Like Bologna” – Alan Jackson
Sure, the tune was Alan’s worst charting single in years, but come on, give bologna a chance. The song was featured on Good Time, and we can’t help but sing along when the humorous lyrics start playing…
So crank the album and make a bologna sandwich. This oughta be a good time.