The president is showing minor, cold-like symptoms shortly after Trump’s diagnosis of COVID-19.
The president has had what one person described as cold-like symptoms, according to the New York Times. The Times also reports Trump may have come in contact with about 100 people at a Thursday fundraiser. Others say Trump appeared “lethargic” while attending the event in Bedminster, New Jersey.
New York Daily News reports White House medical officials were weighing treatment option after the diagnosis was made.
Campaign Manager Makes Statement
The president has canceled all upcoming in-person campaign events, according to his Campaign Manager Bill Stepien.
“All previously announced campaign events involving the President’s participation are in the process of being moved to virtual events or are being temporarily postponed,” Stepien said in a statement. “In addition, previously announced events involving members of the first family are also being temporarily postponed.”
Dr. Ronny Jackson, Trump’s former doctor, served as a White House physician for five years between 2013 and 2018. On Friday, he told “Fox and Friends” that there is plenty of time for the president to heal before the October 15 debate with Democratic nominee Joe Biden.
“Once he tests negative twice, you know, he should be safe to go back to his normal routine,” Jackson said, according to Fox News. “That will be well before the next debate. We have to remember that he is in great physical health otherwise.”
News of Trump’s positive COVID-19 test started circulating late Thursday evening into early Friday morning. First Lady Melania Trump also recently contracted the virus. Trump personally confirmed the news early Friday morning on Twitter.
“Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19,” Trump said. “We will begin out quarantine and recovery process immediately. We get through this TOGETHER!”
Jackson says Trump should have immunity after his recovery from the virus.
“I think they are doing everything they can to keep the president safe and I think have they’re been doing a good job doing that,” he said.
Trump’s Current Doctor Sends Memo
Dr. Sean Conley, Trump’s current doctor, says the president and first lady are doing well as they quarantine at home, according to Fox News.
“The president and first lady are both doing well at this time and they plan to remain at home within the White House,” Conley says in a memo. “The White House medical team and I will maintain a vigilant watch, and I always appreciate the support provided by some of our country’s greatest medical professionals and institutions.”
H/T: New York Daily News