HomeNewsDr. Fauci Slams Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2021 Mass Gathering, Silent on Barack Obama Star-Studded Birthday Party

Dr. Fauci Slams Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 2021 Mass Gathering, Silent on Barack Obama Star-Studded Birthday Party

by Jacklyn Krol
Scott Applewhite, Getty Images

Dr. Fauci is facing backlash after condemning the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and not other events.

President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser appeared on NBC’s Meet the Press. Host Chuck Todd questioned how the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally could spread COVID-19 cases noting that both Dakotas were the top 2 states for new cases after the 2020 rally.

“Well I’m very concerned that we’re going to see another surge related to that rally,” Fauci said. “I mean, to me it’s understandable that people want to do the kinds of things they want to do. They want their freedom to do that.”

Researchers were able to link 266,000 cases of COVID-19 to the 2020 rally which saw 462,182 attendees. Fauci shared his concern with the past data.

“But there comes a time when you’re dealing with a public health crisis that could involve you, your family and everyone else, that something supersedes that need to do exactly what you want to do,” Dr. Fauci added.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) the seven-day moving average for new cases has almost reached forty compared to the low of four in June. Meanwhile, the South Dakota Department of Health reported that almost 60% of the state’s population received at least the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

Dr. Fauci Reactions

Meanwhile, Dr. Fauci has stayed silent regarding major events like Obama’s 60th birthday party. He was originally slated to invite 500 and 700 people. However, it was reported that roughly 400 people attended the outdoor event.

Some people spoke out saying they felt that Dr. Fauci was playing favorites.

“Lollapalooza, Obama’s birthday, Bowser’s wedding, etc etc etc Those telling us to worry aren’t themselves worried, so why should we be?” Kenny tweeted.

Dr. Fauci didn’t condemn the Chicago music festival, Lollapalooza that was held last weekend. The festival saw 385,000 with 90% of attendees showing proof of vaccination. The other 10% showed a negative COVID-19 test result.

“No comment from St. Fauci on Obama’s soirée last night with a few hundred of his closest friends. Or how about Lollapalooza last week in Chicago. Or, I guess it’s SELECTIVE festivities. Because the virus knows, and only attacks those who fit the Dems’ narrative,” another user wrote.

Other people noted that Obama’s party was less than one percent of people in attendance compared to the rally. 700,000 people are expected to attend the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Additional social media users shared reports about the Martha’s Vineyard soiree.

According to reports, guests required a negative COVID-19 test result, had to stay outside, and were asked or required to be vaccinated.

Another Controversy

The New York Times reporter and White House correspondent Annie Karni spoke with CNN. Her comments about Obama’s bash did not go over well.

‘This has really been overblown, they’re following all the safety precautions,” she said. “People are going to sporting events that are bigger than this, this is going to be safe, this is a sophisticated, vaccinated crowd and this is just about optics it’s not about safety.”

People on social media took offense to the “sophisticated” comment. Karni later clarified that she was simply quoting what she had been told by locals.