“All My Children” had been entertaining fans for several decades when the news broke that it was getting canceled. This took place on April 14, 2011.
Unsurprisingly, this was not welcome news to the people who worked on the show, as well as its fans. Forty-one years is a long time to be on television, after all.
One of the people at the center of the soap opera’s world was actress Susan Lucci. She famously played Erica Kane on the popular daytime show.
During a 2019 interview with Yahoo Entertainment, Lucci recalled what it was like to hear that “All My Children” would no longer have a home on ABC. And, unsurprisingly, she – and others – had some strong feelings about it.
According to Lucci, she learned her show was getting canceled from its creator Agnes Nixon. Nixon reportedly did not want the daytime television star to be “blindsided” by the news.
“When the announcement was going to be made that ‘All My Children’ was going to go off the air, (creator) Agnes Nixon actually called me and told me she had heard this was going to happen,” Lucci said.
Susan Lucci Says Cast, Crew Went Through Mourning After Cancelation of ‘All My Children’
Obviously, when the cast and crew found out about the cancelation of the show there were many unhappy and upset people.
“There was a lot of anger that day — from me and everybody else,” she also said during 2019. “It was really a period of mourning because we went through all of those stages — the anger, the denial, the sadness, the missing of each other.”
Fortunately for Lucci, at this low point fans of “All My Children” helped ease the pain. The actress said fans “helped me get through that mourning period” after the show was canceled.
Also, part of her will always be Erica Kane. And, she said, that helps her make it through life. She also said that Erica can be found in “all of us.”
“I do have (Erica) with me. …,” Lucci told Yahoo Entertainment. “There’s a little bit of Erica in all of us. It’s a matter of proportion and the day.”
According to Lucci, she was told by an ABC executive that “All My Children” was canceled to make way for another show. This proved to be “The Chew,” a lifestyle show. That executive was a man named Brian Frons. He was in charge of ABC Daytime at the time.
“I was very surprised, and I asked him why and he said they were replacing us with a show that (cost) 40 percent less to produce,” Lucci also said.
The first episode of “All My Children” aired on Jan. 5, 1970. The show’s final episode aired on Sept. 23, 2011.