Ashley Judd Reveals Text Message ‘No Parent Ever Wants’ That She Sent Her Dad Following Broken Leg Incident

by Suzanne Halliburton

Ashley Judd is back in the United States and revealing more details about her recovery from a severe leg injury.

One detail she revealed Monday was the emergency message she sent her father.

Ashley Judd posted an update on her Instagram account. She said her father, Michael Ciminella, flew to South Africa as quickly as possible when she messaged him news of her accident.

She said of her father:

“My beloved Dad, who had gotten the text no parent ever wants: “emergency, can’t answer questions, please come now,” had indeed, because he is vaccinated, been able to come to South Africa. He has been my rock, companion, resource, helped me listen to so many doctors, critical support system, and kind, loving presence as I have wept and wept. We then made the 22 hour – 4 flights – to America thanks to unbelievably efficient disaster travel insurance on an Air Ambulance.”

Ashley Judd Was In Congo When She Suffered Brutal Leg Injury

Earlier this month, Ashley Judd was on a wildlife mission in the Congo when she tripped over a downed tree and broke her leg in four places. She was in such a remote spot in the jungle that it took hours before help reached her. She then had to ride on the back of a motorcycle as she held her tibia in place. Judd estimated it took 55 hours — more than two days — before she finally reached a hospital in South Africa. In all, she says the transport from the jungle to a South African hospital took 55 hours.

She needed a lengthy surgery at Sunninghill Hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa to start repairing the damage she’d suffered. She said when she got to the hospital, there was no pulse in her leg.

Ashley Judd thanked the staff at the hospital and game more details on what happened since she left the country.

She wrote: “In an American hospital, I had to continue to wait for the tissue damage and swelling to reduce. Eventually I was qualified to have the 8-hour surgery to repair the bones, decompress the hemorrhaging nerve and pick the shards of bones out of the nerve. I am now recovering from surgery.

“I’m very thankful to all of the experts, including that expert pictured, my Pop, who is rubbing my foot to remind my foot while it still cannot move that it is connected to my body. I am up and around already. Thank you for your care and kind words.  Let us always remember those without insurance (and) let us remember those who do have choices. Let us remember those who are lonely and afraid.”