Several people were surprised by Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews’ hasty departure from ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars” last year. Now, a couple of fan-favorite dancers are sharing their thoughts on the 15-year host’s sacking by ABC.
Brothers Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Val Chmerkovskiy have been staples of “Dancing With the Stars” for years. Maks started out on season two back in 2005, while Val joined the cast in 2011. While Maks retired in 2018 and has no current plans to return, Val competed as of last year and may or may not return for the upcoming season.
When Bergeron and Andrews were dropped as hosts last year, model and host Tyra Banks stepped in. She’ll host and executive produce for the upcoming season as well.
What Do ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Alums Makism and Val Chmerkovskiy Have to Say?
When they sat down for a chat with PopCulture, the Chmerkovskiy brothers laid out their honest thoughts about the previous “Dancing With the Stars” hosts being taken off the show.
“I think I’m going to say it,” Maks said. “Is Tom someone that I think was a staple of the show? Yes. Dare I say that I also was a staple of the show and, at some point, may or may not have been thought of as an irreplaceable element? Yeah. […] The reality is, Season 30 is coming up. I haven’t been on for a while and it didn’t get any worse in that department. So I think times keep moving and we keep moving it.”
Maks told PopCulture that he wants to see “Dancing With the Stars” “evolve” now that staple cast members like he, Andrews, and Bergeron are no longer on it. Val, on the other hand, is all on board with this latest cast change.
“I mean, look, as a person, [Tyra] is A-plus-plus. Behind the cameras, she treats everybody with love and respect and I think also we’ve yet to know a lot of Tyra because this was also a Zoom type of season,” Val said. “I think Tyra did a great job. I’m excited to see the job that she does next season after having the opportunity to actually have a real season.”
What Did Bergeron Say About Leaving the Show?
ABC’s announcement about Bergeron and Andrews’ termination came as a surprise to everyone — especially Bergeron. When he heard the news, the 15-year-host took to Twitter to share the news with his fans.
“Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me. It’s been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career. I’m grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?” the former “Dancing With the Stars” host wrote.
ABC responded to Bergeron’s tweet by issuing a statement of their own. “Tom Bergeron will forever be part of the ‘Dancing with the Stars’ family. As we embark on a new creative direction, he departs the show with our sincerest thanks and gratitude for his trademark wit and charm that helped make this show a success.”
The next season of “Dancing With the Stars” will premiere Monday, Sept. 20.