As of Friday, March 26, Sharon Osbourne was no longer a host on popular CBS talk show, “The Talk.” And the drama is only getting more intense.
Osbourne is reportedly leaving after engaging in a heated conversation with her fellow co-host, Sheryl Underwood. She said, amongst other comments, that she felt she was “about to be put in the electric chair because I have a friend who many people think is a racist and that makes me a racist.” Following a network investigation, her comments were deemed inappropriate.
‘The Talk’ Controversy and Buyout
This is in reference to her defending longtime friend Piers Morgan. The show was also discussing the Meghan Markle and Oprah Winfrey interview that day. She had made many comments related to race while on the show.
“Sharon Osbourne has decided to leave ‘The Talk.’ The events of the March 10 broadcast were upsetting to everyone involved, including the audience watching at home. As part of our review, we concluded that Sharon’s behavior toward her co-hosts during the March 10 episode did not align with our values for a respectful workplace,” CBS said to USA Today.
Since deciding to leave the show, there have been rumors that Sharon Osbourne is receiving a large payout from CBS. It turns out these reports may not be entirely true.
According to the LA Times, CBS denied the rumor that she is receiving a payout of up to $10 million. This would be due to her departure from “The Talk.” CBS instead said that this was “False, inaccurate or untrue. Take your pick.”
Osbourne had also expressed criticism for Meghan Markle following the infamous interview and supported Piers Morgan. During the interview, Markle talked about suffering from severe mental illness, including suicidal thoughts. She also said that members of the royal family expressed concern over her child’s possible skin tone. Morgan questioned the truth in her claims, specifically regarding her suicidal thoughts. His comments were perceived to be rooted in racism and led to his departure from “Good Morning Britain.”
Sharon Osbourne Apology
Osbourne responded the day after “The Talk” episode. She wrote a long message that said partially, “I panicked, felt blindsided, got defensive & allowed my fear & horror of being accused of being racist take over. There are very few things that hurt my heart more than racism so to feel associated with that spun me fast! I am not perfect, I am still learning like the rest of us & will continue to learn, listen and do better. Please hear me when I say I do not condone racism, misogyny or bullying.”
According to CNN, a part of her decision to leave the show also had to do with racist and homophobic comments she was alleged to have said regarding her colleagues in the past. A journalist named Yashar Ali had written a story investigating some of these claims.
Prior to these allegations, Osbourne had spoken with Entertainment Tonight insisting that she was not a racist. “I am not a racist and if you can’t have a go at your friend who happens to be Black, does that make me racist because I said certain things to my friend, but I said them on camera?”
More information may come from the ongoing investigation.
Up until now, Osbourne was the last original cast member of the show. She had been on “The Talk” since 2010. The show has been on a hiatus due to the ongoing investigation and will continue on April 12.