“The Talk” may have found its permanent replacement for longtime talk show host Sharon Osbourne, who controversy left in March. According to The Wrap, Jerry O’Connell may be taking Osbourne’s place on the show full-time moving forward.
The outlet reported that O’Connell was close to a final deal to become a co-host on the show. The actor would add a male perspective to “The Talk” as a result. When the deal goes through, O’Connell will be the first male full-time host on the show since its inception.
An inside anonymous source told the outlet that viewers should expect O’Connell to take over in the near future. Neither O’Connell nor CBS commented on the recent rumors. But it wouldn’t be the first time that O’Connell has appeared on the show. He’s been a regular guest on “The Talk” recently.
O’Connell would join Sheryl Underwood, Elaine Welteroth, and Amanda Kloots on the show. Osbourne left “The Talk” back in March. Meanwhile, co-host Carrie Ann Inaba recently took a leave of absence due to some recent health issues.
But not everyone is a fan of O’Connell’s potential casting. Underwood reportedly is against the move, according to the Sun. “Sheryl thinks Jerry is fine for the Men of May month producers planned, but beyond that she feels we are telling the audience that women cannot behave themselves and be friends,” the outlet reported.
Sharon Osbourne Leaves ‘The Talk’
Sheryl Underwood is also not a fan of Sharon Osbourne. Since Osbourne left “The Talk,” both Osbourne and Underwood have been critical of each other. Osbourne’s departure came after defending her friend Piers Morgan on-the-air. Morgan had been critical of Meghan Markle and Harry’s interview with Oprah. During the March 10th episode, Osbourne and Underwood got into an argument. Osbourne left “The Talk” after the show went on a brief hiatus.
“The events of the March 10 broadcast were upsetting to everyone involved, including the audience watching at home. As part of our review, we concluded that Sharon’s behavior toward her co-hosts during the March 10 episode did not align with our values for a respectful workplace,” CBS said in a statement. “We also did not find any evidence that CBS executives orchestrated the discussion or blindsided any of the hosts. At the same time, we acknowledge the Network and Studio teams, as well as the showrunners, are accountable for what happened during that broadcast as it was clear the co-hosts were not properly prepared by the staff for a complex and sensitive discussion involving race.”
Since Osbourne’s departure, “The Talk” ratings have declined and been trending downward. This continues a trend that started earlier in the season. But the network still renewed “The Talk” for another season with O’Connell may be taking a role as co-host.