Hoping to avoid the debacle of the first debate, the Commission on Presidential Debates announced a rule change earlier this week.
According to Buzzfeed News, the commission says it will mute microphones at certain points of the debate to ensure minimal interruption between the candidates.
The commission issued a statement regarding the new rule on Monday.
Commission officials say the new measure is to ensure a civilized event in which both candidates have uninterrupted time. The first presidential debate was full of interruptions and personal attacks between Donald Trump and Joe Biden.
The new measure comes just two days before the final presidential debate set for Thursday night in Nashville, Tennessee.
Each candidate will receive two minutes at the beginning of each 15-minute segment. An open discussion will ensue once both candidates have had their chance to speak. To enforce the measure, the candidate who does not have the floor will then have their microphone silenced.
“We realize, after discussions with both campaigns, that neither campaign may be totally satisfied with the measures announced today,” the commission says in the statement. “One may think they go too far, and one may think they do not go far enough. We are comfortable that these actions strike the right balance and that they are in the interest of the American people, for whom these debates are held.”
Lessons From First Debate
Chaos ruled the first presidential debate, which took place last month, with personal attacks and interruptions coming from both sides. In contrast to the first event, commissioners say structure is a must to assure a satisfactory debate.
“The Commission is mindful of the distinction between enforcing rules already agreed upon by the candidates and making changes to the rules,” the commission’s statement says.
The Presidential debate will be later this week on Thursday night at 9 p.m. Eastern Time. Nashville’s Belmont University will host the event.