Man Flying Kite Swept Away for Wild Ride After Strong Gust of Wind

by Michael Freeman

Many of us grew up flying kites and I’m sure some still do it avidly to this day. I did it while I was incredibly young and remember some winds actually pushing me back while flying it. A man recently had a similar experience, albeit with more terror as a strong gust swept him away entirely with the kite.

The New York Post broke the story, with a man at a kite-flying competition suddenly finding himself 40 feet into the air. A huge wind gust hit Nadarasa Manoharan and the kite, much to the horror of him and his friends nearby. Manoharan was with his friends in Sri Lanka on Monday when the incident occurred. Time News obtained video footage, which shows the man hanging on the rope while winds carry the kite away.

In the video, we see six men, including Manoharan, trying to keep the huge kite grounded. The five other men let go, but Manoharan hangs on and is whisked upward. Luckily, the wind eventually let up and allowed Manoharan the opportunity to let go. Upon landing, bystanders rushed him to Point Pedro Hospital in Jaffna. There, medical professionals treated him for minor injuries.

Though he returned a bit more bruised than before, he was otherwise unharmed.

Wind Picks up Kite Surfer and Slams Him Into a Buiding, Killing Him

Flying a kite on foot isn’t the only way to do so, with another popular method being kitesurfing. However, the sport presents its own set of risks as well, with a recent tragic incident resulting in a kitesurfer losing his life after harsh winds slammed him into a building.

According to TMZ, Fred Slater, unfortunately, lost his life while kitesurfing a few months ago. Slater was kitesurfing on Fort Lauderdale Beach when the windswept him away and slammed him into the side of a home. The 61-year-old hit the ground shortly after, suffering severe injuries. Paramedics rushed Slater to Broward Health Medical Center in critical condition, but he passed away hours later.

Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Stephen Gollan recounted the incident to WSVN, stating the heavy winds suddenly appeared. “He was attempting to kitesurf in the ocean behind the address here, actually, just two doors down, when strong winds came into the area unexpectedly, and he was not able to release from the kite in a timely manner. So we went from relatively calm conditions to extremely dangerous conditions in a short period of time,” Gollan reported.