Man with Compound Bow Gets in Shootout with Police, It Goes About As Well As Can Be Expected

by Michael Freeman

You often hear about shootouts with the police, but this story has a bit of a twist. The man in question in this instance thought it would be wise to face off with police armed with a comopound bow. He was wrong.

WSB-TV stated the incident occurred in Georgia after a man armed with a compound bow carjacked a woman in Atlanta. Authorities report that the victim told police she was approached by a man with a compound bow at 1438 West Peachtree Street early this morning. Firing an arrow into the victim’s windshield, he demanded she get out. After doing so, the attacker climbed inside and drove off. Luckily, the woman was not injured.

Marietta and Cobb County police found the suspect at Powder Springs Road at South Marietta Parkway around 7:10 a.m. Police say the suspect struck a bridge. After some time passed, the man pointed his compound bow at the officers. Promptly ending the confrontation, an officer fired their gun at the suspect. The shot wounded the man, but left him conscious and alert as he was taken to the hospital. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation was also called to investigate the officer-involved shooting.

Surprisingly, the carjacking seemed to be the suspect’s third attempt that day. Police say a suspect matching the man’s description and weapon attempted to take a security guard’s car earlier that morning. His attempt being unsuccessful, the suspect apparently tried the same thing with another victim but again did not succeed.

Idaho Bow Hunter Discovers Man’s Remains Who Was Missing for Over 50 Years

Believe it or not, this isn’t the only strange story involving someone with a bow and arrow lately. Earlier this month, an Idaho bow hunter discovered a man’s remains who had been missing for more than 50 years.

The hunter in question found the remains on September 17 while seeking a shortcut. Yahoo! states the missing man’s name was Raymond Jones. Jones went missing from Salmon Idaho in 1968 and was 39 years old at the time. Coincidentally, Jones was a hunter as well and disappeared when hunting mountain goats in the East fork of Hayden Creek in Lemhi County. Reportedly with a group, Jones ventured out on his own and no one heard from him again.

Lemhi County Sheriff Steve Penner confirms this, saying the camp housed other hunters, but he was by himself when he disappeared. The camp called the sheriff on September 9, 1968. Unfortunately, no one could find Jones in the wilderness. The search even enlisted aircraft support to aid them but had to be called off because of a blizzard.

Sadly, the search only briefly re-opened afterward but eventually closed. 70 searchers continued looking for Jones, even after the Sheriff’s office withdrew, but they eventually gave up.