Minnesota Snowmobilers Die in Yellowstone NP Avalanche

by Samantha Whidden
(Photo by Zhao Ge/Xinhua via Getty Images)

Following the recent avalanche in Yellowstone National Park, authorities have reported that two unidentified snowmobilers died in the incident. 

According to Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center, the two men were riding snowmobiles on Scotch Bonnet Mountain when they came trapped in the snow. The two other rides came to help, they triggered an avalanche that ran about 500 deep down the mountain. 

Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center Director, Doug Chabot, reportedly spoke about the incident. “It’s a popular spot to go snowmobiling and skiing. But it’s serious avalanche terrain. Like a lot of the mountains about Cooke City.”

The Center also stated that the avalanche occurred around 1 p.m. on Monday (December 27th). It had a crown line of about four to five feet deep. Chabot confirmed that two of the snowmobilers managed to escape. They were only standing a few feet away from its edge. “They were literally two to three feet from getting caught.”

Chabot reveals that the two other snowmobilers were carried down the mountain’s southeastern slope and covered by four to five feet of snow. The two not caught in the avalanche joined in the result efforts. Within an hour of the rescue, they had found both men. But neither survived. 

Chabot went on to speak about the danger of avalanches this time of the year. “When the danger is ‘considerable’ on that slope, that means if somebody goes on it they’re probably going to trigger a slide.”

Chabot added that anyone planning on traveling through avalanche terrain should only do so with rescue equipment on hand. They will need to move through it only one person at a time. He also recommended that it’s a good idea to have a GPS satellite communicator as well. 

Search & Rescue Crew Continue to Hunt For Missing California Ski Resort Visitor Amid Avalanche Warning 

According to ABC News, search and rescue personnel are continuing to search for a missing California ski resort visitor during avalanche warning. 

The media outlet reports that 43-year-old Rory Angelotta was last seen on Christmas Day at the Northstar Ski Resort in Truckee. He was reported missing around 10 p.m. on December 25th. This was after he failed to show up for dinner with friends. Authorities also revealed that his last ski pass scan was at 11:30 a.m.

Authorities further state that Angelotta’s car was located in the Northstar parking lot. Due to the weather conditions, authorities had to suspend search and rescue efforts on Sunday evening. But they resumed on Monday amid whiteout conditions. 

Mike Powers, a pubic information officer with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, tells ABC News, “The hope is that if the weather clears up today, searchers will be able to get to more of the remote areas he may have gone.”