HomeNewsNew York Man Opens Fire at Christmas Concert, Killed by Police

New York Man Opens Fire at Christmas Concert, Killed by Police

by Jon D. B.
(Photo by KENA BETANCUR/AFP via Getty Images)

NYPD officers present for the Christmas concert were able to take down the gunman on the scene. Both policemen were hired specifically to work the New York City concert.

A shooter opened fire at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine today during a Christmas concert. The Sunday afternoon incident took place within the heart of Manhattan and involved the church’s choir.

“There has been a shooting at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine after their Christmas concert,” announced Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer. Her words were the first public statement of the incident. “My Chief of Staff and press secretary who were present are safe,” she adds.

According to NYPD officers involved with the incident, St. John’s choir was “lingering at the top of the steps” of the cathedral for the Christmas concert – when the gunman appeared on the scene. Wielding two handguns, the shooter opened fire over the heads of those present.

NYPD Officers Prevent Fatalities at Christmas Concert

Thankfully, an NYPD sergeant and two officers were present at the scene. After returning fire, one of the officers struck the gunman in the head. As part of pandemic safety protocols, the officers were hired to be present for the cathedral’s event.

“There was some kind of concert at the steps (of the church),” Lt. John Grimpel clarifies to CNN. Moreover, Grimpel, an NYPD spokesman, goes on to reiterate that “there was an individual firing shots. Officers that were at the scene engaged him.” Details of how the shooting unfolded, however, are scarce.

Most importantly, the officers were on hand to end the gunman’s attempt at a mass shooting. As a result, no innocent lives were lost.

Regarding the shooter, New York law enforcement details a male suspect in his 50s. In addition – after being gunned down by present police officers, the gunman was pronounced deat at St. Luke’s Hospital.

“We don’t have a lot of information but our gratitude goes out to first responders,” Borough President Gale Brewer posted on Twitter soon after the incident. “People should keep the area clear as police continue their investigation.”

Two of Brewer’s staff members — her chief of staff and press secretary — were present during the shooting but were unharmed, she said.