Man Charged in International Table Tennis Match-Fixing Sting

by Halle Ames

Australian authorities have charged a man as part of a gambling ring that has been placing corrupt bets on table tennis tournaments.

Officials from New South Wales State Crime Command’s Organized Crime Squad have been investigating a man they believe to be a part of a “transnational gambling syndicate placing corrupt bets on international table tennis tournaments.”

According to a police statement, the detectives have carried out nine search warrants at seven different locations during the investigation.

In the end, they arrested a 40-year-old man named Adam Green from a home in Broadmeadow on Wednesday. He had more than $9,000 in US (AUD $12,000) cash on him. According to the Australian, Green had been placing bets under the names of the individuals living at those nine homes. The residents were aware of the operation.

The Organized Crime Squad said that police seized the money as well as electronic devices and documents.

Green also used to be a table tennis professional. Takes one to know one, I guess.

Man Charged With Table Tennis Match-Fixing

He made more than $378,000 in US dollars (AUD $500,000) in total winnings from the fixed matches.

Green was charged with “corrupt conduct information to bet on an event” and “knowingly deal with proceeds of crime intent to conceal.”

In addition, the report states that the man had been receiving information about fixing table tennis matches in Europe.

Earlier this year, bookmakers tipped off police about the corrupt gambling. They emphasized that the betting took place when matches were in Ukraine.

The group, called ‘Strike Force Brombal’ was created in June to look into illegal betting. It consists of detectives from the Organized Crime Squad. Sport Integrity Australia and officers from Newcastle City, Lake Macquarie, and Port Stephens Hunter Police Districts aid the group.

Australian authorities granted Green bail. However, he will appear in court in Newcastle on January 28, 2021.

Police say the investigation is still ongoing.