Major League Baseball Hall of Famer has been banned by the league following an investigation into an allegation of sexual misconduct back in 2014.
The league announced the news on Friday. As part of the decision, Alomar also has to leave his job as a consultant to the MLB. Commissioner Robert Manfred stated that his office had hired an outside legal team to investigate the allegation of sexual misconduct in 2014. The initial incident report came from a baseball industry employee earlier in the year
“Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB’s policies,” the commissioner said. “And that this warrants termination of his consultant contract and placement on the MLB’s Ineligible List.
“We are grateful for the courage of the individual who came forward,” Manfred continued. “MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking up without fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exclusion.”
As it currently stands, the league has not provided any further details. However, Alomar posted his own statement on social media in response to Friday’s news. There is no doubt that he is upset, by the news. However, he says that he will continue to help other youngsters fulfill their dreams.
“I am disappointed, surprised, and upset with today’s news,” Alomar said. “My hope that this allegation can be heard in a venue that will allow me to address the accusation directly. I will continue to spend my time helping kids pursue their baseball dreams. I will not be making any further comment at this time.”
Toronto Blue Jays Cut Ties With Former MLB Star, MLB Hall of Fame Does Not
Roberto Alomar had a phenomenal 17-year career in the MLB. And for five of those seasons, he played second base for the Toronto Blue Jays. While with the team, he won back-to-back World Series rings in 1992 and 1993.
Nonetheless, the Blue Jays came out and announced their support for the league’s decision. They decided to sever all ties with their former star player.
“The Blue Jays are committed to advancing respect and equity in baseball. [We] are taking further action by removing Alomar from the level of Excellence and taking down his banner at Rogers Centre,” Toronto said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the National Baseball Hall of Fame says that Alomar’s place in Cooperstown, New York will stay put for the time being.
“The National Baseball Hall of Fame was shocked and saddened to learn of the news being shared today about Roberto Alomar,” Jane Forbes Clark, Hall of Fame Chairman of the Board, wrote in a statement. “Following his election to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in the Class of 2011, Alomar was an eligible candidate in good standing.”
“His plaque will remain on display in the Hall of Fame in recognition of his accomplishments in the game.”