Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis is speaking out against the NFL’s decision to enforce penalties on his team.
The penalties stem from the Raiders’ alleged repeated non-compliance with the NFL’s COVID-19 pandemic protocols. The Raiders were fined $500,000 and will lose a sixth-round draft choice in the upcoming NFL Draft, according to Pro Football Talk.
Raiders Receive Fines, Lose Draft Pick
In addition, Head Coach Jon Gruden is being fine $150,000 as a result of protocol violations due to right tackle Trent Brown‘s positive test. Gruden did previously receive a fine for failure to wear a mask. The team is also receiving a fine for having unauthorized people in the locker room. Players also received fines for gathering without masks at an indoor event during non-working hours.
It’s a steep price to pay for the Las Vegas Raiders and their top official isn’t the least bit happy about the league’s actions. Davis is the son of former Raiders Owner Al Davis, and like his father, Mark isn’t timid about speaking his mind. Calling the fine “draconian,” Davis says that no one in the organization is willingly violating the league’s COVID-19 protocols. He says his organization will appeal the fines.
“The fines are draconian,” Davis tells ESPN. “But we will appeal them. Outside the organization, people have the wrong impression about the Raiders. We take it seriously. It’s unfortunate that certain things outside the protocol are the things being focused on, rather than the positive steps we’ve taken as an organization. You’ve been in the building. You’ve seen it.”
The Raiders are one of the NFL’s surprise teams this year, compiling a record of 4-3 through their first seven games. Their biggest win of the season came against the defending Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs. In a high scoring affair, the Raiders won the game 40-33. They will take on the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday.