Oscar De La Hoya is training for his boxing comeback. And, he recently started a relationship with Holly Sonders.
TMZ Sports spotted the couple over the weekend at Nobu, a restaurant in Malibu known for its celebrity clientele and the paparazzi that stake it out to snap tabloid photos.
“Healthy, not drinking, no nothing, I’m just with my beautiful woman, Holly,” Oscar De La Hoya told TMZ. “And I’m gonna f****** knock that mother f***** out. You want to f****** see a real fight? I’m gonna knock that mother f***** out.”
TMZ reported that Oscar De La Hoya and Sonders met in June during a boxing event De La Hoya sponsored. Sonders posted about the event on Twitter. She wrote: “Boxing is LIVE right now on #BallysFightNight #KOEntertainment having so much fun with this event created by Oscar De La Hoya”
Oscar De La Hoya Retired in 2008
De La Hoya is 48. He retired from boxing almost 13 years ago. But in June, he confirmed that he’s headed back into the ring. Triller, a pay-per-view, social networking service, is backing his fight. De La Hoya isn’t the only beloved fighter affiliated with Triller. The company sponsored an exhibition bout between Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. However, Tyson said he no longer is affiliated with Triller. He said he’s only partnered with Leagues Only League. Triller also organized the fight between Jake Paul and Ben Askren.
De La Hoya is set to fight former UFC champion Vitor Belfort, Sept 11 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Belfort is a former UFC champion. The fight initially was intended to be an exhibition. But Triller Fight Club founder Ryan Kavanaugh told ESPN last month that the fight now is sanctioned. It’ll be eight, two-minute rounds. The weight limit is 180 pounds. But Oscar De La Hoya and Belfort can weigh between 175 and 185.
“I decided if I was coming back, it was for real, none of this exhibition stuff,” Oscar De La Hoya said.
He’ll bring a 39-6 record into his bout with Belfort.
Athletic Commission Will Sponsor Bout If Fighters Pass Medical Tests
The California State Athletic Commission approved the bout. However, each fighter must pass several comprehensive medical tests. They’ll both need a brain MRI, neurocognitive and cardiac testing along with an eye exam.
Oscar De La Hoya hasn’t thrown an official punch in a sanctioned bout since he lost to Manny Pacquiao in eight rounds back in December 2008. Back in the day, De La Hoya pulled in massive viewership for pay-per-view fights. He won a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. And he also won world titles in six weight classes.
Belfort is 44. He once owned the UFC’s light heavyweight title. And he knocked out a dozen opponents. However, he hasn’t fought in a while, although his competitive layoff is only three years. He was victorious the one time he boxed. That was in 2006 and it was a first-round knockout. Belfort is a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and judo.
His fight with Oscar De La Hoya won’t be a farce.
“It’s important to transition from exhibitions,” Kavanaugh, the Triller CEO said. “This is as real as any fight Oscar or Belfort has had, not some staged wrestling event.”