UFC fighters Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier are making their return to the octagon tonight for a trilogy fight at UFC 264.
The highly anticipated bout will be the tiebreaker between the two men. McGregor won their first fight in September 2014 at UFC 178. The Irishman came away victorious in the featherweight bout with a first-round TKO.
In addition, the pair fought again earlier this year in January. During their second bout, each of the men moved up a weight class to the lightweight division. Poirier came out strong in the second fight and earned a second-round knockout of his own to even the series. Now, all eyes are on their third fight to decide a true winner in the trilogy.
The preliminary card will air on ESPN and ESPN+ beginning at 8 p.m. EST. Then, the main card will start on ESPN+ at 10 p.m. EST.
Conor McGregor Confident as Usual Headed Into UFC 264
As per usual, Conor McGregor seems to be very confident in himself going into tonight’s fight. He’s predicted a “devastating knockout” against Poirier to finish out the trilogy.
“It’s going to be a devastating KO – a masterpiece,” McGregor said, according to MMA Junkie. “I said that before the last one and a lot of people were thinking of the short game, but I was thinking of the long game. It’s the masterpiece coming now.”
Dustin Poirier thinks McGregor is talking a big game to compensate for his lack of confidence going into the fight.
“I felt like I saw a guy who was unsure of himself, scared, trying to hype himself up,” Poirier said. “It felt good. … I feel like he has to work himself up to be that guy, and I am that guy. I don’t have to do that.”
UFC Returning to Las Vegas for the First Time Since the Pandemic
For the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic, the UFC is officially returning to Las Vegas, Nevada and T-Mobile Arena with a live crowd. The former gambling capital of the world has gone without a big UFC fight since March 2020 at UFC 248. Vegas fight fans are getting a hell of headlining fight as well with McGregor-Poirier 3 as the sport returns to Sin City.
UFC president Dana White previously shared his excitement about bringing the UFC back to Las Vegas.
“I am so happy to finally be able to say Vegas is back,” White said in April. “This summer, Las Vegas is back open for business, and on July 10, UFC 264 will be at the T-Mobile Arena here in Vegas at 100 percent capacity. Ladies and gentlemen, that’s 20,000 fans. And this card will be headlined by the third fight between Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor. Tickets go on sale this week.”