Utah Football Player Wears Fallen Teammate’s Number in Emotional Tribute

by Matthew Memrick

A Utah football player, who wore a fallen teammate’s jersey number after his shooting death in 2020, was also a fatal victim this weekend.

Defensive back Aaron Lowe died at a house party shooting in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The Mesquite, Texas player was Utah’s first-ever recipient of the Ty Jordan Memorial Scholarship. Jordan by an accidentally self-inflicted wound on Christmas in 2020.

When Lowe accepted the scholarship, he told the Salt Lake Tribune that he wanted “to make sure Jordan’s legacy lived on through me.” 

The two men had been close friends since attending West Mesquite High School, and the 21-year-old Lowe had switched his jersey number from No. 2 to No. 21 to honor his former friend and teammate.

In his third year with the team, Lowe had played in each of Utah’s first four games this year. The Utes defeated BYU, 24-13, at home.

Utah, Team Grieves

On Sunday, Utah governor Spencer Cox Tweeted out his condolences for Lowe and the University.

On Sunday, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said he was devastated over the news of Lowe’s death and said many would miss the student-athlete’s presence

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Aaron’s family and friends, along with the other individual who was harmed in this tragic incident,” Whittingham said in a statement.

The coach said Lowe was “a great teammate, friend, brother, and son and was loved by anyone who crossed paths with him.”

Another teammate, Devin Lloyd, asked why the good have to die young. He went on to express his love for Lowe and said, “rest in paradise.” 

Sunday Night Shooting

Lowe was at a small gathering late Saturday after the game.

Police spokesperson Brent Weisberg said the party got loud, and neighbors had called to make noise complaints. Police, however, did not respond because of other higher priority calls.

Later, reports of a fight with a weapon came into dispatch, and officers arrived on the scene. Weisberg said officers made a “tactical approach” to the home just before the fired shots, Weisberg said.

According to the Salt Lake Tribune, police said a small party had uninvited guests show up. When the host asked those people to leave, a fight happened.

The shooter also hit a woman in the gunfire. According to ABC 4, the unidentified woman is in critical condition. The TV station said there were witnesses and possible video footage. Authorities have not charged anyone, and the investigation is ongoing.

“This talented young man touched the lives of so many here in Salt Lake City and Texas,” Salt Lake City police chief Mike Brown said in a statement

Brown said the Salt Lake City Police Department offered condolences to the family and the University community. Brown also expressed condolences to the other person involved in the shooting.

These investigations are complex. Our detectives have been hard at work trying to identify the suspect or suspects in this case.”