Survivor of Texas Plane Crash Recounts Harrowing Escape from Plane Before Aircraft Burst Into Flames

by Courtney Blackann
(Photo by George Rose/Getty Images)

What set out to be an amazing adventure to see the Houston Astros play in Game 4 of the ALCS turned into an utter nightmare. An airplane carrying 21 people crashed at Houston’s Executive Airport Tuesday. Luckily, everyone in the crash survived and there were few minor injuries. Now, passengers of the jet are speaking out about the moments after they realized their plane wasn’t lifting far off the ground.

Passenger Cheryl McCaskill was looking forward to the Boston Red Sox-Houston Astros baseball game. She was tagging along with her boyfriend when the McDonnell Douglas MD-80 didn’t lift. After the pilots ran out of runway and the airplane crashed, everyone took a breath before running to get off the plane.

When it finally stopped, everyone went “get out, get out, get out.” We jumped out on that inflatable thing and then everyone went “get away,”’ McCaskill said, according to the Daily Mail.

 “I lost my shoes,” she added.

The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) are now looking into what happened to the aircraft. They’re also trying to determine why the aircraft wouldn’t lift. The NTSB will collect the plane’s black box device to try to determine what went wrong in the moments before the crash.

Additionally, another unnamed passenger shared that the event happened quickly and was confusing all around.

Passengers Share Scary Moments Before Plane Crash

“Things were flying around. And when it finally came to a stop, they just told us to ‘Get out! Get out!’ And we unbuckled ourselves – and ran as far away as we could because we thought it was going to explode,” the passenger said. “And we wanted to get as far away as we could.”

Further, the plane’s owner J. Alan Kent, president and CEO of Flair Builders, is working with the FAA and sharing whatever information he can to assist them. Alan was on the plane at the time of the crash.

Kent’s company released a statement following the crash.

“Thankfully, everyone used the emergency slides to exit and make it to safety before a fire consumed the plane,” the statement read. “There was a minor injury sustained by a passenger going down the slide but thank God that there was no loss of life.”

Kent hired an attorney, David Norton, to help with the crash investigation. He released a statement saying Kent is still reeling from the incident.

“His main focus right now is to comply with the FAA and NTSB and their rules to make sure we are doing everything right,” Norton told the Chronicle. “We truly have no idea at this point what happened or why it happened… I am sure that is going to get fleshed out over time.”

The MD-80 has a capacity of 172 passengers. This particular airplane served commercially for several years before becoming a private jet in 2015. The youngest person on board at the time of the crash was 10 years old.