HomeNewsThis Man Says He Found an Eyeball in His Can of Baked Beans: ‘I Nearly Fainted’

This Man Says He Found an Eyeball in His Can of Baked Beans: ‘I Nearly Fainted’

by Courtney Blackann
(Staff Photo by Shawn Patrick Ouellette/Portland Press Herald via Getty Images)

Prepare to be extremely grossed out. Finding a hair in your food is not unusual. It’s pretty nasty and even vomit-inducing, but we all have hair and it happens. However, a man found something truly disgusting in his can of baked beans and he believes it’s an eyeball. The photos will creep you out for a solid hour. So be prepared.

Martin Ford, 54, loves baked beans. He works in construction and likes to eat them after work as a quick meal. However, he says he may never be able to eat them again after he opened the can and found a creepy eye staring at him.

According to the New York Post, Ford had bought the can of beans just a week prior in a pack of four. He lives in Tesco in Plymouth, Devon, United Kingdom. The beans are from a brand called Branston Baked Beans – the kind he normally always bought. But after heating up the food, he looked in the can and pulled out what looks like a large pupil.

“I’m a strong stomached sort of guy and absolutely love beans for my tea but I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to eat them again,” Ford said. “I’d had a hard day at work and was desperate for a quick dinner. Beans are my go-to so I quickly whacked a tin open, poured it into a bowl and put it straight on the hob.”

He went on to add:

“I grabbed a fork and dived in. It was then that I saw an eye staring at me through the beans. I absolutely love beans but I’m not sure I’m going to be able to have them again after this.”

Company Responds to Baked Beans Issue

Further, after the man shared photos of the gross thing, a company spokesperson appeared to have an explanation.

“The photograph would appear to show mold that will have developed due to a small perforation that has allowed air to enter. Damage to a can such as this is a rare occurrence and will most likely have happened when the can was in transit or in-store. We will contact the consumer to investigate further, and we sincerely apologize for any concern this has caused.”

The company added that they are looking into the incident to get to the bottom of whatever was inside the can of beans.

The gross find is not something common. But people have found weird objects in food before. We don’t envy those people. But this is a good reminder to check your food before you try that first mouthful.

Perhaps Ford will learn to love his favorite food again in the future. However, we don’t blame him if he never touches another bean again.