New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he will not ban trick-or-treating this Halloween, but rather let families make their own decision. The annual tradition seems in jeopardy this year as COVID-19 continues to be a problem in the United States.
“I would not ban trick-or-treaters going door to door,” Cuomo told News 12 Long Island. “You have neighbors — if you want to go knock on your neighbor’s door, God bless you and I’m not going to tell you not to. If you want to go for a walk with your child through the neighborhood, I’m not gonna tell you you can’t take your child to the neighborhood.”
Cuomo said he will offer advice as we get closer to the Oct. 31, but families will make their own decisions.
Several cities and states have struggled over whether they’ll allow traditional trick-or-treating this year or not. Los Angeles originally said it would ban the practice but then walked that back a day later. Now, city health officials say it’s “not recommended,” but still want parents to disallow their kids from it this year.
“We are recommending that trick-or-treating not happen this year,” said Dr. Barbara Ferrer, Los Angeles County’s public health director, according to CNN. “It’s just not sensible in a pandemic.”
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said earlier this month that as of now “Halloween’s still on.”
“Obviously, it’s not gonna be a normal Halloween,” he said. “We’re gonna have to do things very carefully. I’m sure we’re gonna have protocols that we’ll come to. And God willing, the virus stays under control.”