Melania Trump spoke out about her and President Donald Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis. Late Thursday (Oct. 1), the president announced via Twitter the couple contracted the virus.
In her post, Melania urged Americans to stay safe. She wrote, “As too many Americans have done this year. POTUS and I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19. We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements. Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.”
Melania, 50-years-old, also has a video pinned to her Twitter page in which she discusses COVID-19 safety.
President Trump announced he and Melania contracted COVID-19.
President Trump announced their diagnosis before on Thursday in a tweet. He wrote, “Tonight, FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”
The couple’s diagnosis comes after one of President Trump’s close advisors Hope Hicks contracted the virus. According to The Hill, Hicks had close contact with Trump’s inner circle and interacted with the two prior to their diagnosis.
According to The New York Times, the president’s physician said the coupler were both doing “well.” He didn’t say if the president or first lady were suffering from any coronavirus symptoms.
“The president and first lady are both well at this time, and they plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence,” the physician, Sean P. Conley, said in the statement. “Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments.”
It’s unclear how long the president and first lady will be in quarantine.
So far, 200,000 Americans have died from COVID-18. More than 7 million in the U.S. have been infected, Johns Hopkins University reports. In addition, the worldwide coronavirus death toll has topped 1 million.