After Mayor John Cooper announced it would “take years” to rebuild the city, 2021 is off to a bleak start for Nashville.
Recently, Nashville Mayor John Cooper said that rebuilding his city in the aftermath of the Christmas Day bombing could take a few years. Authorities recently announced that at least two buildings require demolition. Furthermore, ten other structures are unsafe for use or entry.
During an interview on Friday evening with local outlet News 2, Cooper referenced the city’s devastated Second Avenue: “We’ve committed and have to deliver on rebuilding it back better, with a look and feel that is consistent with the city that we want to have. But that probably is a job that’s gonna be measured maybe in years.”
Earlier in the week, officials identified 62-year-old Anthony Quinn as the suspect in the bombing. DNA of human remains from the scene later matched that of Warner’s.
“Anthony Warner is the bomber. He was present when the bomb went off, and he perished in the bombing,” U.S. Attorney Donald Cochran said at a press briefing last weekend.
As of now, authorities have yet to determine the motive behind the incident. The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department released a video of the moments leading up to the blast.
Not only did the bombing cause extensive damage to the immediate area, but it also wreaked havoc to nearby businesses. It also interrupted cell phone coverage and emergency services across Tennessee and parts of Kentucky and Alabama.
Meanwhile, the city anticipates President Donald Trump to initiate an emergency declaration to provide federal funding for the rebuilding process. He also went on to add that he’s waiting for details about the bomb and he’d been given little information.