Sammy Smith is the founder of Grace Cathedral Ministries located in Piedmont, South Carolina. A fire broke out on the second floor of his local home and the Simpsonville Fire Department worked tirelessly to try to calm the growing flames.
South Carolina Preacher’s House Burns Down
Smith went on Facebook Live to share what was going on with his friends. According to the New York Post, Smith repeatedly muttered, “My house is on fire. My house is on fire.”
Eventually, the fire department was able to put out the fire and Sammy Smith went live once again. He was standing in front of the shell of his blackened, destroyed home while recording. Sadly, his house has only been up for four years prior to this tragic accident.
Despite the devastating circumstances, Smith’s impromptu sermon tried to find the positives in it all. “The house is probably pretty much destroyed. But God got us out. And, you know, God’s will always has to be done. Sometimes we don’t understand his will. I got my neighbors out here … Everybody out here is just loving on us,” Smith said while also showing his neighbors helping out during the fire as well.
The fire was some kind of accident, likely involving heating units or some other kind of electrical unit. The preacher used it as an opportunity to show that terrible things can happen at any moment to anyone.
“It doesn’t matter who you are, it doesn’t matter what you do, tragedy and circumstances can happen, you know? You just have to be able to roll with the punches sometimes,” he said. Luckily, no one was injured in the fire. Both his daughter and godson live upstairs and had all their belongings destroyed, however.
The community has already been incredibly loving toward Smith. He said people were bringing him donations.
Woman Faces Criminal Charges After Apartment Fire
Meanwhile, an Illinois mother is now facing charges after her five children were all killed in a fire. She was charged with five counts of endangering the life or health of a child. Her kids were all under the age of 10 and were home alone at the time of the fire.
The New York Post reported that she was picking up her boyfriend from work when she returned home to find her house engulfed in flames. The woman has burns on her arms and feet as she tried to save her children trapped inside.
The mother’s father and his wife were supposed to be watching the children because they live in the same apartment building. They fell asleep when the fire happened and ended up jumping out of a building to survive.
The fire remains under investigation at this time.