HomeNewsTwo Men Receive Fines for Starting False Search After Firing Emergency Flare at Wedding

Two Men Receive Fines for Starting False Search After Firing Emergency Flare at Wedding

by Courtney Blackann
(Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

While this story would be a hilarious antic in a Wedding Crashers-style romcom, it didn’t exactly go over as planned. Not even Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson could have pulled off this stunt scot-free. In what was supposed to be a cheery wedding celebration, two guests left with $5,000 fines after unnecessarily setting off a distress flare.

According to the AP, two Rhode Island men were attending a wedding in New Shoreham near Providence. After the conclusion of the nuptials, the guys decided they would send off the bride and groom in style.

Perry Phillips, 31, and Benjamin Foster, 33 set out on a small boat near the wedding in the coastal town. Once the two got far enough away, they set off three very expensive maritime distress flares. The act was meant to be visible to the wedding party. However, what it sparked instead was a lengthy and pricey Coast Guard search and rescue.

Coast Guard Spends Thousands on Flare Incident

To make matters worse, the two men decided to record the incident and post it on their social media pages, not realizing the harm of the situation.

When witnesses saw the flares, they immediately reported it to the Coast Guard. The service members responded with a boat crew as well as two helicopters. A search and rescue team quickly learned the pair were not in serious danger.

All in all, the Coast Guard spent $100,000 in resources when the wedding guests needed no help. After charges were filed, it was concluded that the two “knowingly and willfully communicated a false distress message to the Coast Guard,” and “caused the Coast Guard to attempt to save lives and property when no help was needed.”

Whether or not alcohol played a part in the event is unknown. However, the two men certainly learned a tough lesson.

Two NYPD Officers Injured in Firework Display

Speaking of less-than-smart decisions, two NYPD officers were not necessarily fined – but injured -when they set off fireworks during their night shift.

It was during an overnight shift near Citi Field when an officer decided to whip out some fireworks and set them off in a parking lot. The flare burst through the air, injuring not just one, but two officers.

The injuries were also so severe that one officer may lose his fingers, while the other may lose an eye. It’s unclear why the one unidentified officer decided to bring out the pyrotechnics. However, since the incident, there’s an internal investigation underway, officials said.

The NYPD did not comment on the incident, however, a source told the New York Post, “These guys are crazy.”

The two officers were transported to separate hospitals and treated for their injuries. Their condition is still unknown.