Tate Dutton might be young, but that doesn’t mean he can’t sling it like the rest of the Dutton family.
When it came to this tiny character, “Yellowstone” creator Taylor Sheridan didn’t skimp on writing witty lines for the 8th generation Dutton. He’s the grandson of John Dutton (Kevin Costner), and his parents are Kayce (Luke Grimes) and Monica Long (Kelsey Asbille). These two are trying their best to take care of this little man, but sometimes grandpa steps in and spoils him, just like any grandparent would.
Join us as we relive some of Tate Dutton’s (Brecken Merrill) most well-thought out moments and funny quotes.
Top Quotes from Tate Dutton
10. “I think you should carry the big ones,” Tate tells his grandfather when they’re building a fire by the river in season 1. The little man is smart and is using his size to his advantage. He’s already trying to persuade someone, and in this case John, into doing his work for him.
9. “Why can’t we live right here, like this all the time?” Tate questions John, as he already recognizes the beauty of the generational land.
8. “I’m gonna need more than that,” he tells John, “Another one.” The family is at the summer camp and the crew is sitting down to eat dinner. John made biscuits and Tate Dutton has worked up quite an appetite.
7. “That’s the only way my dad will get it, because he’s broke as hell.”
6. “Well if ranching’s so hard, why do you do it?” Tate asks John. He’s always full of questions. But we’ll give it to him because he’s got to learn about the western way of life somehow. John explains to Tate in this video why ranching is “one hell of life.”
5. “I beat him to it,” Tate tells Kayce after his dad finds him holding a rattle snake he killed with a rock.
4. “Why didn’t you do that in the first place?” Tate asks his dad when he blows up the tree stump he’s trying to remove with a tractor.
3. Then he follows up with a disciplinary action, “You’re going to be in a big time out.”
2. “Will something kill us too, grandpa?” The youngster is learning paramount lessons as the “Yellowstone” series plays out.
Tate Knows Who to Go to When He Wants Something
This is perhaps one of our favorite and most funniest quotes from Tate Dutton. This is how it plays out:
“I need to talk to you first grandpa. It’s very serious. So I’ve made a decision,” Tate Dutton tells his grandpa. John responds with, “That a fact?”
Tate continues to tell John his plan, “I’m going to be a cowboy.” His grandpa responds with that’s a good thing because the Yellowstone ranch is going to be Tate’s one day and he needs to be a cowboy to run it.
“Well, that brings me to my problem. I don’t have a horse. So can you buy me one?” Tate asks John. The patriarch continues to tell his grandson that a horse is a lot of work. Plus he tries to teach him some of life’s lessons here about money and caring for an animal. The scene pivots to include Kayce and this is perhaps one of the funniest quotes from Tate.
Kayce tees it up with, “Do I need to be apart of this conversation?” Tate responds with, “You ain’t got any money, gotta be him.” He might be young, but Tate is sure smart.