“Yellowstone” fans love to hate Jamie Dutton – and his quotes from the first three seasons just add more fuel to the fire. Relive the most powerful dialogue from the Dutton’s black sheep with us ahead of Season 4.
As mixed as “Yellowstone” fans may be on Jamie, could he really be as bad as we think he will become? Is he capable of really betraying his family? Could he have put the hits out on them in the Season 3 finale? Is Garret Randall actually his biological father? Even if he has spoken several times over – to some real shady folk – about his “right” to and being “bred for” Yellowstone Ranch… can Jamie Dutton truly be as “evil” as Beth swears he is to his face? Or is he just a product of the bruising his father has put on him over the years?
Perhaps Season 4 will tell. While we know it’s coming in 2021, that’s about all we know. Until then, let’s dive back into the mind of Jamie Dutton to get a better sense of where this adopted black sheep may be headed – and how we’re all going to feel about it…
Jamie to Beth Dutton Quotes from Seasons 1-3
Sharp “Yellowstone” fans will know, before we even begin, that the majority of Jamie’s best dialogue comes from his interactions with his sister, Beth Dutton. While Beth herself is responsible for the show’s best quotes, Jamie has some runner-ups, if you ask us:
- “Cancer doesn’t have much foresight, so it kills its hosts, which kills it. Cancer is suicide from the inside out. That’s what you are, Beth.”
- “I need you to forget how we feel about each other and remember one thing – we’re family.”
- “If hating me keeps you from hating yourself, I’ll be there for you … That’s what family’s for.”
- “I know what you’re doing. You’re doing what you always do. You’re making a giant cry for help.”
- I should have said no. That’s what I should have done. Because then you couldn’t blame me for doing exactly what you asked me to do!
- “I am celibate because I’m terrified of getting somebody pregnant and passing on the gene that made you.”
- “All I have ever tried to do is protect this family, most of the time from itself. You, more than anyone, should understand that.”
Hey! Beth. That is over half the ranch’s cash. What are we going to do in November if cattle prices go down? How much money do you think this ranch makes in a year? After payroll, property taxes, and hay and countless other expenses, NOTHING. This ranch has not turned a profit in six years. And maybe you don’t understand the impact of a few hundred dead cattle, but that’s half a million dollars rotting in the field! You f**ked us. Fu*ked. US. I want the ranch out of that trust, and I want it out today.Jamie to Beth Dutton
Jamie Dutton Being Jamie Dutton
Moreover, Jamie has some great one-liners that define who he is as a character:
- “From now on, what I do is for me.”
- “I’ve painted myself, us, into a corner, and I can’t get us out of it.”
- “If you just made you’re one phone call from jail, you wasted it.”
- “I need some advice, brother, if I can still call you that.”
- “Eighty years ago, we coulda hung ’em from a tree. But today, this is the best I can offer. I can promise this, they’re never gettin’ arraigned.”
Jamie’s Best Quotes to His Father, John Dutton
Furthermore, these interactions between father and adopted son go a long way in showing their complex relationship. Calling said relationship “complex”, too, feels like a massive understatement.
- “I did that for every father that would be sacrificing their family if they did it.”
- “I always figured one day I’d do your job.”
- “Workin’ with them is a deal with the devil”
Jamie: Dad, I won’t betray you. You have my word.
John: Well, we’re about to find out what that’s worth.
Jamie: What do you want me to become?
John: A lawyer.
Jamie: You always say that you don’t respect lawyers.
John: Well, become one that I can.
Jamie: Why a lawyer?
John: Lawyers are the swords of this century. Words are weapons now. I need you to learn how to use ’em.
Jamie: Workin’ with them is a deal with the devil, dad.
John: All the angels are gone, son. There’s only devils left. At least they admit it.
Wes Bentley on the Man Behind These Quotes
For more of the best lines from Jamie Dutton, and plenty of insight into his character from actor Wes Bentley, check out Paramount Network’s official video on the character below.
Actor Wes Bentley and his castmates (Kevin Costner, Kelly Reilly) discuss Jamie Dutton’s journeyParamount Network