240-Pound Sturgeon Caught in Michigan Could be Over 100 Years Old: PHOTO

by Quentin Blount
Photo by Valery MatytsinTASS via Getty Images

A real-life river monster was pulled out of the lower Detroit River last week by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service. The agency announced that they had reeled in a rare 240-pound sturgeon.

The fish is estimated to be one of the biggest lake Sturgeon ever recorded in the U.S. Not only that but it has been potentially roaming the Detroit River for more than 100 years. The monster fish measured in at nearly seven feet in length, weighing 240 pounds.

Pictured next to the fish below is U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Biological science tech Jennifer Johnson. She is laying next to the huge catch while it sits on a scale awaiting measurement.

“FYI – #Fish #Michigan officials say 100 year old Sturgeon one of the largest ever caught in the U.S.,” one user wrote.

Justin Chiotti, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Biologist says that the organization is working to protect the species.

“We’re trying to protect this fishery,” Chiotti said. “Everybody is always catching a huge sturgeon. Everybody catches a 100-pounder. But a fish this size is very, very rare to catch.”

Story Behind Catching the 240-Pound Sturgeon

By now, the story of the largest Sturgeon in the United States being caught has made its rounds across social media. But some people might not know exactly how it went down.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife crew consisted of three people — two women and a man. Jennifer Johnson and Paige Wigren were joined by Jason Fischer. Each of the three crew members is in their 30s. They said that they had at least five lines out in the water and had been fishing for some time. Up until their record-setting catch, the only thing they had managed to pull in was a five-gallon bucket.

It was just before noon that one of the crew members said he felt a slight tug on one of the lines.

“The fish started to surface,” Wigren recalled. “Jason said, ‘There’s a fish coming up. ‘Jenny looked over and she said, ‘Big fish! Big fish!’ I moved to the back of the boat and grabbed the net.”

They measured and tagged the beast with a microchip similar to those people put in their pets. That way if anyone ever gets reels it up again, whoever catches it will know it is the same one.

After that, the crew released it back into the river. But first, of course, they had to snap a quick photo. Any true fisherman can relate to that.