Caldor Fire Intensifies, Forcing More Than 50,000 to Evacuate Lake Tahoe Region

by Michael Freeman
caldor-fire-intensifies-forcing-more-than-500000-evacuate-lake-tahoe-region

Within the past week, the Caldor Fire has steadily been expanding and approaching Lake Tahoe. Residents prepared last week to take emergency action, but now more than 50,000 have been told to evacuate the region.

The governors of California and Nevada declared states of emergency yesterday as the Caldor Fire intensified. In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency for the Alpine, Amador, and Placer counties, which surround the Lake Tahoe region. Governor Steve Sisolak also declared a state of emergency in Nevada, anticipating the fire coming into the state within a few days.

Consuming 186,568 acres since it started on August 4, the fire remains 85% uncontained. Additionally, the Caldor Fire has destroyed 664 structures: residential, commercial, and otherwise. 40 buildings took damage but remain intact, and injuries number five thus far.

Because of this, South Lake Tahoe and the southern part of the lake received emergency evacuation orders. The evacuation order affects more than 53,000 residents in El Dorado County.

CNN Meteorologist Michael Guy reports “The forecast for areas around the Caldor fire, in particular, doesn’t look that good for the next few days.” Until Wednesday night, northern Sierra to western Nevada received red flag warnings.

The warnings result from the area enduring gusts up to 35 mph, with some locations going as high as 50 mph. To make matters worse, the area is arid, with humidity ranging between 5% and 10%. The low humidity and lacking rain all but encourage the nearby land to continue burning.

Luckily, Barton Memorial Hospital in South Lake Tahoe evacuated all patients there to partner facilities. South Lake Tahoe Jail inmates also transferred to other facilities successfully.

Miranda Lambert Reschedules Lake Tahoe Concert Due to Caldor Fire

Disappointing, but hardly surprising, country music star Miranda Lambert recently postponed her Lake Tahoe concert due to the fires in the area. Sharing the news on Twitter, Lambert said the postponement would be for nearly a year.

“Lake Tahoe! We wish we could come see y’all Thursday, but the fires are making conditions unsafe. Show is rescheduled for 7.28.22. Tickets will be honored. If you can’t attend the new date, you can request a refund for a 30day period from today.”

Lambert also added a note asking everyone to stay safe and expressing excitement to see fans next summer. The Harveys Lake Tahoe Twitter account gave more details about honoring tickets and refunds.

“Tickets will be honored for the new date. If you are unable to attend the new date, you will be able to request a refund from Ticketmaster for a 30 day period from the time of this announcement. Please go here for the latest updates.”

Set to continue the tour and stop in Laughlin, Nevada on September 4, Lambert still has more than five cities to visit.

Outsider.com