Louisiana Rabbit Hunter Dies After Being Hit by Train

by Jon D. B.

In a tragic accident, a Louisiana hunter has died after being struck by a train while attempting to save his dog from the oncoming locomotive.

While the man’s identity is unknown, the Iberville Parish Sheriff’s Office reports his death this morning after being hit by a train within their precinct.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the unidentified man was hunting rabbits along the railroad tracks. The area he was hunting rests between White Castle and Nottoway. Tragically, at around 7:30 a.m., the hunter was hit and killed by an oncoming locomotive.

Louisiana Sheriff Brett Stassi says that evidence on the man’s person identifies him as a rabbit hunter. Moreover, his dog was present at the scene. Stassi adds that the man was attempting to get his hunting dog out of the way of the oncoming train. He did not realize how close the locomotive was to his person and died as a result.

As of now, no further details are available on the incident or individual. Regardless, the hunter’s loss comes as a blow to Louisiana outdoorsmen and the community.

Rise in Hunting Deaths Due to Inexperienced Hunters

The rabbit hunter’s death comes just days after a mysterious overnight tragedy involving a duck hunter in Iowa. The 55-year-old drowned just yards away from his own duck hunting boat in Clear Lake, Iowa.

Belle Plaine resident Jeffrey Ernest Brooks took off for another duck hunting trip this past weekend. Tragically, it would be his last. The 55-year-old hunter was floating in the lake only a few yards away from his boat.

The Le Sueur County Sheriff’s Office discovered Brooks’ body after their deputies were called to Clear Lake around 9:45 a.m. Saturday. The lake, a popular duck hunting location, was the last place Brooks was seen within Lexington Township.

According to a news release from Sherriff’s Office, Brooks was floating by himself within sight of his boat. The hunter, however, did not drown. Rescuers were able to retrieve him from Clear Lake. Though he was unresponsive, Brooks showed signs of life.

Unfortunately, Brooks “died during the night-time hours at St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester,” according to the Le Sueur County Sheriff’s Office.

Duck Hunting Death Confuses Authorities

The same authorities, however, say that another individual was present – and sitting on top of Brooks’ capsized duck boat alone.

The 29-year-old companion of Jeffrey’s was alive and coherent when rescuers arrived on the scene. Within sight of his location, Brooks was unconscious within the water.

While authorities have yet to label the incident as foul play, the surviving hunter’s name is under wraps. He is now in a New Prague hospital in which he is recovering.

The Le Sueur County Sherriff’s Office, so far, is providing no details on what led to one hunter surviving while the other died.

While all forms of hunting come with great risk, duck hunting fatalities are unusually rare. As hunting license sales continue to rise within the COVID-19 pandemic, however, more and more inexperienced hunters are heading outdoors. As such, tragedies – like the loss of 55-year-old Brooks – have become more common.