Mother, 2-Year-Old Daughter Survive 100-foot Fall Off Cliff While Hiking

by Matthew Memrick

A mother and her two-year-old daughter miraculously survived a 100-foot fall from an Oregon hiking trail on Sunday.

When the girl slipped off the path, her mother tried to grab her. Both fell down the side of a cliff at Multnomah Falls on Sunday at 12:15 p.m.

The mother’s screams alerted other hikers to the scene.

The New York Post said other hikers, including an off-duty emergency room doctor, helped the pair until first responders arrived on the scene. 

Emergency personnel took the fall victims to the hospital. According to a Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office spokesman, both mother and child were reportedly alert and conscious after the fall.

Victims’ Hiking Fall Greater Than 100 Feet

At first, the bystanders thought the fall was much shorter than it was. 

Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Chris Liedl said the first 911 call said 50 feet. Then, responders measured the fall closer to 100- to 150-feet.

Witnesses who spoke to KATU News said a dozen people responded to help. 

“It was very clear like the baby was like injured,” said one witness, Ericka Klein. “Someone had grabbed the baby from the mom, and then somebody else was down there with the mom, making sure she was okay. She had a broken leg, I think.”

Another hiker, Julia Hariri, said she saw the mother and her baby getting carried out of the water.

“The baby was the only one that was actually on the ground right here, with people huddled around her,” Hariri said.

Multnomah Falls Company vice president Jill Willis was also on the scene. She said when she arrived, others worked to keep the 2-year-old warm.

Willis’s employees called for help and made sure emergency personnel could use the path to get to the family.

Multnomah County authorities extended their thanks to the bystanders who aided the family before the first responders arrived.

Another Tragic Fall, But Young Children Survived

In 2016, two young boys survived a 100-foot fall from a New Jersey bridge.

Sadly, ABC News reported that the father died in a suicide jump with his two children, ages 3 and 1. 

The incident happened in Wanaque, New Jersey.

“It was nothing short of a miracle,” Pequannock Police Captain Christopher DePuyt told ABC News. “To be able to survive a fall like that, I just — there’s no words to describe it.”

Police found the boys “conscious and alert” in a forested area with thick brush and foliage. Responding officers said the trees and other forest vegetation likely cushioned the impact of their fall.

Emergency personnel took the boys to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Paterson for treatment. New Jersey State Police said the hospital treated the boys for “serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.”