New Hampshire Summer Camp Closes After Kids Spend Six Days Fighting and Vomiting

by Emily Morgan

For most of us, when we think of a kid’s summer camp, it usually evokes images of singing around a fire, canoeing, and making fond memories one will never forget. However, for one New Hampshire camp, it turned out to be quite the cruel summer. 

Camp Quinebarge in Moultonborough, New Hampshire, was advertised to parents as an upscale outdoor experience for their children. Despite the promises, the camp sent the children home after just six days. 

For starters, the children were served unsanitary meals, which resulted in vomiting. Next, the kids broke out in fistfights. While the kids will undoubtedly remember their experience, it won’t be for a good reason. 

The parents reportedly spent $3,400 to send their kids to the camp for two weeks. To add insult to injury, the trip was cut short just six days after they dropped the kids off when camp organizers told the parents to come pick them up. 

The summer camp faced a “summer of challenges,” including a delay from the camp’s food supplier. However, according to the Boston Globe, the camp has been in operation for over 85 years.

Kids’ Summer Camp Descends Into Chaos

After organizers sent the children home, an investigation revealed that there might’ve been many reasons for the camps’ chaos, including reportedly hiring untrained counselors just days before welcoming the kids. 

One camper punched a counselor in the face, and later the same camper hit another kid. In the cafeteria, meals were served on dirty dishes. As a result, four kids began vomiting and were sent to quarantine. 

A letter from one camper to their parents detailed the nightmare experience of the camp. 

“We have been in tears, bored, and devastated the whole day. The camp director is lying to you all.” They added, “You have to trust us. You have to. We are not joking and we are not having fun. So many things are wrong with this place.” 

Quinebarge has since canceled all remaining summer sessions and issued refunds to the outraged parents. Eric Carlson, the camps’ executive director, has operated the camp with his wife Lesley since 2012. Carlson wrote an apology through the camp’s Facebook page. 

“We sincerely apologize to all those families and staff members who had their summer plans interrupted by our premature closure.”

However, the dysfunction began long before the kids arrived. The camp didn’t have enough staff to keep up with the number of campers. Carlson sent an email to parents about the issue only weeks before opening day. 

Per the email, the camp was in dire need of 15 to 20 more counselors. Additionally, most prospective staff members failed to show up to work, and others alleged they received minimal training before campers arrived.