Utah Parleys Canyon Fire Reportedly Blazes Down 3,000 Acres in Just 3 Hours

by Megan Molseed

Utah is facing another massive wildfire when a new one took hold in Parleys Canyon Saturday afternoon. So far, the fire has set more than 3,000 acres of land ablaze, displacing as many as 6,000 residents through evacuation orders. It took just under three hours for the devastating blaze to destroy over 3,000 acres of Utah land.

The fires which are located on the south side of Utah’s Parleys Canyon, broke out at around 2 pm Saturday. All area residents living in the areas of Summit Park, Pinebrook, Mill Creek Canyon, Timberline, and Lambs Canyon along I-80 were ordered to evacuate as the devastation grew.

However, some residents of the area are refusing to evacuate. Much to the dismay of the first responders who are working hard to keep everyone safe. The responders have gone on record to note that the residents who are refusing to evacuate the area are interfering with their efforts to distinguish the flames. As well as putting the first responders in danger.

Residents Asked To Evacuate During Parleys Canyon Fire

“To the residents who are refusing to evacuate for the #ParleysCanyonFire – you are hampering efforts and are putting first responders in danger,” wrote Sheriff Justin on the Summit County Utah Sherrif’s Office Twitter Page Saturday evening. “PLEASE evacuate immediately!”

By 6 p.m. Saturday evening, the wildfire information released to the public had estimated that over 2,000 structures were in danger. This includes multiple powerlines which would leave over 2,500 homes without power. By 10:30 p.m. Saturday, the Parleys Canyon fires were still ablaze as crews were struggling to contain the disaster.

Reports state that the fire started around 2 p.m. on Saturday, and not long afterward, the evacuation notices were announced. The fire is believed to have originated from a faulty catalytic converter. Crews believe the faulty equipment ejected hot particles into the bushes setting them ablaze.

Fires Shutdown Major Highways

By 3:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon, both sides of highway I80 had been shut down. Not long afterward, crews were able to open portions of the highway as crews battled the potentially deadly blaze.

“Fire near MP 137 on I-80 EB in Parleys Canyon. Currently, only one eastbound lane is open,” noted the Utah Highway Patrol in a Saturday evening Twitter post. “Please use extra caution when driving through the area and slow down.”

Federal and State agencies dispatched six air tankers, six engine water tankers. As well as a variety of helicopters and ground crews to try and contain the Parleys Canyon fires.

Shortly after the evacuation was announced, the American Red Cross had set up an evacuation center in a local high school to help those displaced by the Parleys Canyon fire.

This devastating fire is one of many that crews have been battling across the country in the last month. The Californian Dixie Fire has been burning for over a month and is only about thirty percent contained. As of now, this destructive blaze has been burning over 500,000 acres of land.