WATCH: Game Warden Frees Two Tangled Bucks with One Shot

by Madison Miller

A Kansas game warden shot at two bucks, but it wasn’t to kill them. Instead, it was to save the day.

In a video from Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, two bucks are seen tangled together by their antlers. They are frantically thrashing around trying to get themselves free. At one point, the two even knock each other aggressively to the ground.

The warden continues to follow the bucks, most likely in the hopes that they will free themselves without any human intervention needed.

He notices that the likelihood of them getting free is low and that without his help they will suffer an “excruciating death.” The warden then comes up with a new course of action. First, he throws a blanket over the bucks’ heads and antlers.

This causes the two animals to stand still and stop thrashing aggressively. Once they’ve come to a complete stop, the warden pulls out his handgun. He lines up the shot and shoots perfectly at one of the buck’s antlers from a few feet away.

The shot does the trick as the two deer struggle for a second before getting free and scurrying away in opposite directions. At the end of the video, he sums up the interaction pretty well by saying, “Worked out good.”

Bucks Locking Antlers

Although the situation doesn’t look too extreme, when deer get their antlers tangled together it can actually end up fatal.

In fact, this exact situation happened a few months ago in Kansas. In October, a Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism game warden shared a photo of two deer with their antlers locked. This time, however, the two deer were dead and lying in a field.

“Nature can sure throw some curveballs at times,” the game wardens posted as a caption with the photo.

This is how bucks spar. Sparring is a part of a breeding strategy that determines the strength and resolve of a buck. Usually, it only lasts a little while, however, if antlers get tangled up they may never be able to break it up.

A resident had found the two deer in Rice County and informed wardens. It was about 80 miles northwest of Wichita.

H/T: The Kansas City Star