HomeSportsLouis Nix, Former Notre Dame Football Player, Reportedly Dead at 29

Louis Nix, Former Notre Dame Football Player, Reportedly Dead at 29

by Suzanne Halliburton
Photo by Ken Murray/Icon Sportswire/Corbis/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Louis Nix, the former Notre Dame standout defensive lineman, was reported missing early Saturday. A TV station in his hometown later confirmed Nix had died.

Ben Becker, a reporter with ActionNews in Jacksonville, Fla., said Nix’s mother confirmed her son’s tragic death. He’d survived a shooting two months ago.

Becker tweeted: “BREAKING: Tragic news. The mother of Louis Nix has confirmed to me that the former Raines High School and Notre Dame star who played in the NFL has passed away.”

Police Found Car Belonging To Louis Nix In Pond

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Department tweeted earlier Saturday that they were looking for Louis Nix. The tweet said that Nix, 29, was reported missing, Wednesday. His friends and family hadn’t heard from him since Tuesday morning after he left his father’s home.

So to find Nix, the sheriff’s department shared a photo of Nix and his car.

Hours later, the department posted that Nix had been found. But there were no other details. NBC reported that Jacksonville police pulled Nix’s car from a pond.

Within an hour, the mother told the Jacksonville CBS affiliate that her son was dead.

Nix played for Notre Dame between 2010-13. He helped lead the Fighting Irish, one of the most storied programs in college football history, to the national title game after the 2012 season. Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly tweeted the Louis Nix missing person’s bulletin to help find his former player.

The Houston Texans selected Louis Nix, in the third round, the 83rd overall pick, in the 2014 NFL draft. Nix played for four different teams, including the hometown Jacksonville Jaguars. He was on the Jaguars practice squad in 2016 but was released the next season. He also spent time with the New York Giants and the Washington Football Team.

Louis Nix suffered a gunshot wound to the chest during a December robbery. He stopped at a gas station and was putting air in his car’s tires. He took a video while he was riding in the ambulance and posted it to his Instagram account.

Nix spent two weeks in the hospital recovering from the bullet wound. He still had remnants from the bullet in his lung.

“I know it sounds cliché, but more than anything, I’m happy to be alive,” Nix said in mid-December to Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune.