Seahawks-Falcons Game in Seattle Pauses for Second Drone Delay of the Weekend: WATCH

by Dustin Schutte
Photo by Jane Gershovich/Getty Images

Seattle has a serious drone problem, apparently. For the second time in two days, a football game has been paused because of a “drone delay.” On Sunday, it was an NFL game between the Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks that endured a brief recess.

Officials paused Sunday’s game midway through the fourth quarter, clearing the field because of drones flying overhead. Atlanta led Seattle 27-23 when the teams had to take a break.

The delay lasted eight minutes before the teams were able to return to action. It’s an odd reason to pause a football game — though maybe not in Seattle.

On Saturday night, a Pac-12 game between Stanford and Washington — also in Seattle — was also delayed because of drones flying overhead. So, maybe this is just becoming a regular occurrence for the city?

Either way, it’s been an annoying issue the past two days. Thankfully, teams haven’t had to wait too long to return to action.

And the delay didn’t appear to impact the outcome. The Falcons earned their first win of the season, clinging to the 27-23 victory over the Seahawks.

Seattle a Hot Spot for Drone Delays … Apparently

If you said Seattle was an area that was prone to weather delays during football season, nobody would bat an eye. But drone delays? That’s a different story.

It’s the case, though. Well, at least this weekend. Not only was the Falcons-Seahawks game delayed, Saturday night’s showdown between Stanford and Washington had to take a break, too.

FOX Sports college football commentator Petros Papadakis had some fun with Saturday night’s pause.

“I kind of feeling like I’m looking at a UFO, even though I’m not,” Papadakis said during the broadcast. “Thank goodness that school starts on Monday and these young people will have something else to occupy their time other than disrupting the fourth quarter of this fine Pac-12 after-dark Pac-12 football game.”