Tiger Woods’ Foundation Releases Statement and Update After Major Car Crash

by Emily Morgan

Tiger Woods’ official Twitter account released an update on the legendary golfer’s medical condition following Tuesday’s single-car crash that left him hospitalized.

In the announcement, his team thanked those who offered their support and explained that Woods underwent surgery on his right leg for fractures to the upper and lower portions of his tibia and fibula bones. They also reported he suffered injuries to his foot and ankle.

“He is currently awake, responsive, and recovering in the hospital room,” the message read. “Thank you to the wonderful doctors and hospital staff at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, and the Fire Department. Your support and assistance has been outstanding.”

Prior to the crash, Tiger Woods crossed a median, went across multiple lanes, hit a curb followed by a tree, and then landed on its side.

Rescue teams freed a conscious Tiger Woods from the vehicle and took him to the hospital. Once there, doctors confirmed he suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

New Details Emerge Surrounding Tiger Woods’ Crash

Traffic investigators are looking into the cause of the crash, which could take up to weeks to solve.

The airbags in Woods’ SUV deployed, and Woods was wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident, which is what likely saved his life, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff, Alex Villanueva.

It appears that Woods’ vehicle was “going at a relatively greater speed than normal,” Villanueva said. He also added that there were “no skid marks, no braking.” The sheriff said there were no signs of impairment, but investigators are performing tests.

The sheriff’s deputy, Carlos Gonzalez, who first arrived at the scene, said Tiger Woods could not stand on his own. He also added that he was “lucid and calm.”

Gonzalez also said Woods was in the driver’s seat. Gonzalez said he decided it would be safer to wait for the fire department to arrive instead of removing Woods from the car himself.

“I asked what his name was, he told me his name was Tiger. And at that moment I immediately recognized him. I asked him if he knew where he was, what time of day, to make sure he was oriented. Woods seemed as though he was lucid and calm,” Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez also said that Woods was obviously hurt, but he appeared to be experiencing shock.

“He didn’t seem concerned about his injuries at the time, which is not uncommon in traffic collisions. Many times people tend to be in shock. It’s a traumatic experience. It’s not uncommon for people to be focused on unimportant things or even if they are in pain, they may not feel it until much later,” Gonzalez said.